Question How do I make a new Documents folder.

GabrielCabria

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016
I moved the Documents folder to my main drive E:\ but instead of moving doing E:\My Documents, I dumped everything that was inside My Documents into my desktop so now my Documents is the same as my desktop. How can I fix this my desktop is really messy and its messing with some mods in games that I play.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running system restore, if you have a restore point before the action, it should fix it

1. type "restore" then open "create a restore point"
  2. create a new Restore Point now for C-drive
  3. then open the newest restore point that is prior to the problem happening (if you have one)

Did you make a folder before starting the process? Another fun trick it does is if you point it at a drive, it can sometimes decide to use entire drive as your documents.

You can recreate a documents folder in users by just clicking reset to default and not letting it move everything, or by setting it to the destination you wanted - the important part is make sure not to let it copy everything as that won't work.. Its just slower as you will need to move everything to this new folder manually

Kursun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Alternatively,
  • open file explorer
  • right click on documents and select properties
  • select "move" on location card
  • when move is done find your documents on your desktop and manually move them to the new location.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Move was my second suggestion, provided you don't agree to move the files at same time, it is okay. Problems arise when you agree to move files as it might find hidden files you cannot move that are associated with desktop itself.. (this is the case if you make a hdd documents instead, windows will try to move everything on drive into the new location)

GabrielCabria

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016
Alternatively,
  • open file explorer
  • right click on documents and select properties
  • select "move" on location card
  • when move is done find your documents on your desktop and manually move them to the new location.
Cant do that because the My Documents folder doesnt exists. Its just the Desktop with the Documents folder icon.

USAFRet

Titan
How to do it properly
Win 7 & 8:

Win 8.1 & 10:

It makes a difference between the OS versions.

How to fix the current situation:
First, assuming you wish to not lose your stuff, please copy those docs to some other location.
NOT the entire folder, just the actual documents and files under that.

Then in Properties/Location, see if you can try to set it back to Default.

GabrielCabria

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016
How to do it properly
Win 7 & 8:

Win 8.1 & 10:

It makes a difference between the OS versions.

How to fix the current situation:
First, assuming you wish to not lose your stuff, please copy those docs to some other location.
NOT the entire folder, just the actual documents and files under that.

Then in Properties/Location, see if you can try to set it back to Default.
I tried doing that and it gave me and error when I told it to move all the files to the new location. It says: "Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under E:/Config.Msi. Access is denied." How do I fix this error?

May 20, 2019
I had once an issue with "Saved Games" folder, someone from that gameforum gave me that link: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...personal-folders-windows-10-a.html#option2s11 look for Documents folder, download, run (if you dont trust the content of the .bat file, ask here in forums), happy days.
Windows just did not create it for some reason, I have no idea why, fresh Win 10 Pro.
Manually creating the registry didnt work for me, since it had too many to add and all cryptic stuff not easily found. Also it has to register it properly. So use the .bat and hopefully its fixed.
Now use this only if the Documents folder is missing. I suggest backing up the contents.