[SOLVED] How do I make an RFID scanner to turn on my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbobsmith1968

Honorable
Sep 18, 2018
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I was not at all sure where to put this, if it’s possible to move it feel free if it’s the wrong place.

Ok, I wanted to make an RFID scanner where I scan a card my pc would turn on, and if it’s possible off, just like when you press the power button, but I was not sure how to do this and there really aren’t many tutorials on this subject, so if anyone has any suggestions please share! Thanks!!! :)

Solution
You will find a bevy of available token card readers like what you would use to access a door to a building. Some of the stand alone products have a relay set on with allows activation of that relay upon the token swipe.
As above...if you utilize a relay that is normally open when the host device is active, and then goes to normally closed for a short duration when the accepted token in presented, then you are "on like popcorn".
My original idea was more along the line of controlling the actual AC power to the computer which would be far more easily "secure" (see below).

Other issues you will face if this is really security related will be to have your computer and case inaccessible, have the wiring hidden, shielded/armored, and the...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Admittedly I am not as brushed up on this subject as I used to be.

IDK if there is something specific you could utilize for the computer itself, but I can say that you could easily use a token system/card reader based system to control power to the pc itself.

USAFRet

Titan
Like if I press the power button on my current build.

So when I press the button to turn it off, when I press it to turn it back on is what I want
That requires a physical manipulation of the pins on the motherboard.
Shorting across those 2 pins.

Now...Wake on LAN (WOL), or the mythical Wake on WAN (WOW) is a whole different thing.
That is bringing the system up from a sleep state.

bigbobsmith1968

Honorable
Sep 18, 2018
That requires a physical manipulation of the pins on the motherboard.
Shorting across those 2 pins.

Now...Wake on LAN (WOL), or the mythical Wake on WAN (WOW) is a whole different thing.
That is bringing the system up from a sleep state.
Sorry if I sound rude/dumb, How would I go about doing this, if it’s possible?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
You will find a bevy of available token card readers like what you would use to access a door to a building. Some of the stand alone products have a relay set on with allows activation of that relay upon the token swipe.
As above...if you utilize a relay that is normally open when the host device is active, and then goes to normally closed for a short duration when the accepted token in presented, then you are "on like popcorn".
My original idea was more along the line of controlling the actual AC power to the computer which would be far more easily "secure" (see below).

Other issues you will face if this is really security related will be to have your computer and case inaccessible, have the wiring hidden, shielded/armored, and the token reader secured in such a way as to be impossible to move or open.

My suggestion is that you use a good password or other built in method for logging on.

Last edited:
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Right.
My building at work opens the lock when presented with a valid RFID card, or the card and a PIN.
But it requires some system to already be actually running to power and actuate that lock.

It will not power on something in a completely OFF state. There is nothing to read the card.

A PC that is OFF is just a lump. It would need to be in some 'not quite off' state. Given that, this would be easy.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Right.
My building at work opens the lock when presented with a valid RFID card, or the card and a PIN.
But it requires some system to already be actually running to power and actuate that lock.

It will not power on something in a completely OFF state. There is nothing to read the card.

A PC that is OFF is just a lump. It would need to be in some 'not quite off' state. Given that, this would be easy.

Exactly. Consider the card reader to be it's own stand alone product. It will be powered with AC, usually on a transformer that plugs in, and any of the better ones will have a small battery for back up. In the case that you have a powerful lock there would be a completely different power supply actually powering that item.

IMO, I would set up where the card readers logic board was utilizing it's relays to trip a high voltage relay in line to the plug, or even entire circuit the computer was on....IF I were going to go to that length of trouble to do something like this. It's still FAR less secure than simply utilizing good password protocol.

bigbobsmith1968

Honorable
Sep 18, 2018
Exactly. Consider the card reader to be it's own stand alone product. It will be powered with AC, usually on a transformer that plugs in, and any of the better ones will have a small battery for back up. In the case that you have a powerful lock there would be a completely different power supply actually powering that item.

IMO, I would set up where the card readers logic board was utilizing it's relays to trip a high voltage relay in line to the plug, or even entire circuit the computer was on....IF I were going to go to that length of trouble to do something like this. It's still FAR less secure than simply utilizing good password protocol.
Yes, I agree that a secure password is much more secure, but, I was looking Into remodel And i was/am going for a high-tech theme, for my pc area, I was just thinking for my desk a keycard would be the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.