[SOLVED] How do I make my GPU fans sentient

Aug 4, 2021
I bought a Geforce 1050ti windforce from Gigabyte and when its fan speed is on auto it stays at 0 no matter the temp. I used msi afterburner to put it up and the fans worked but if it goes on auto it goes back to 0. I need a way to make it properly adjust its speed to temp because I think its dangerous for it to run at a manual speed (30-40 set by me) when its at 80C and not speed up to cool down. anyone able to help me? Even if its just how to set a program to make fans faster and slower at certain temps I would gladly appreciate

Solution
Haha, i thought i was reading it wrong but you cannot make something non living “sentient” unless it’s an scp or something

that gpu does leave the fans off at low to medium loads by design, i think you might be able to change modes with gigabytes own xtreme engine utility. Or if it has a bios switch, the other bios might have a more aggressive fan profile.

Msi afterburner has adjustable fan curves too…

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Haha, i thought i was reading it wrong but you cannot make something non living “sentient” unless it’s an scp or something

that gpu does leave the fans off at low to medium loads by design, i think you might be able to change modes with gigabytes own xtreme engine utility. Or if it has a bios switch, the other bios might have a more aggressive fan profile.

Msi afterburner has adjustable fan curves too…

Reactions: Moth_hamzah
Solution

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
GPU fans are not controlled by BIOS. He should check manufacturer's website.

they are, for example:

bios.png

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Case fans are controlled by bios, or over-ridden by software after windows loads. Gpu fans are controlled by vbios, part of the gpu firmware seperate from system bios, unless over-ridden by software such as Afterburner or SpeedFan etc.

Every gpu I've heard of with a 'fanless' mode has a thermal trip in the low to mid 60°C range that starts the fan at that temps reported rpm factor. Meaning normally you'd have a slow ramp upto @ 63° and 3000rpm, but with fanless you get instant 3000rpm at 63°C, but shuts down when the gpu reaches 60°C. Can be extremely annoying if the current load continuously sits at the low 60° temps with the constant on/off vs a normal mode continuous which would keep the card in the 50's or less.

Last edited:
Reactions: falcon291

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
firmware in gpu is bios (basic input output system) without user setup like on mainboard bios, fan settings are stored there so even without operating systems fans would run according to bios settings, if it doesnt kicks in at 80C then something is borked there
We must make a distinction here: VBIOS is not BIOS. And you cannot set their speed entering computer's BIOS settings.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
We must make a distinction here: VBIOS is not BIOS. And you cannot set their speed entering computer's BIOS settings.

just wanna say, vbios is a bios. It is the bios of the gpu. Since gpus are being discussed here, i think it is rational to think vbios in this situation when we say “bios”. I for instance, just say “gpu bios”.