Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU

AMD FX-8350

Vishera 32nm Technology

RAM

16.0GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz

Motherboard

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A97 R2.0 (Socket 942)

Graphics

Cintiq 13HD (1920x1080@60Hz)

4096MB ATI Radeon RX 570 Series (ASRock)

PSU

Corsair cx750

My memory is corsair vengeance ddr3 8g 1600 (X2) but my memory is only dishing out 668, and to my knowedge, I know something about its halved but I honestly don't fully understand why it's running at the half and if I can make it run higher?

kanewolf

Titan
Biggest problem is your memory is running in single channel mode. You may have it in the wrong slots. Check your motherboard manual for the proper slots. AM3 motherboards didn't have good automatic overclocking for RAM. You will probably have to set the memory timings manually to get it to run at 800Mhz.

Apr 15, 2019
Biggest problem is your memory is running in single channel mode. You may have it in the wrong slots. Check your motherboard manual for the proper slots. AM3 motherboards didn't have good automatic overclocking for RAM. You will probably have to set the memory timings manually to get it to run at 800Mhz.
how do i do that and how do i make sure theyre in the right slots?

Apr 15, 2019
theyre in the right slots, how do i set memory timing

Check the manual for your BIOS /UEFI settings. You should have at least a superficial reference to how to make adjustments, but not why or the affect the settings have on operation.

If you're going to stray into the territory of pushing memory timings to their limits for your build, also familiarize yourself with the specific method used to reset / clear BIOS; which you WILL need when you push a setting a bit too far and wind-up with a system that won't POST or boot.

It's nothing to get all that worried about....just clear BIOS and go back to it. Obviously, keeping notes of what you're doing, what works, what doesn't work, and the last series of settings that worked for you--all of this is highly individualistic to your combination of hardware, BTW.

These links should get you started in the direction of understanding what you would be doing, and why:

https://www.masterslair.com/memory-ram-overclocking-guide-ddr3

Apr 15, 2019
Check the manual for your BIOS /UEFI settings. You should have at least a superficial reference to how to make adjustments, but not why or the affect the settings have on operation.

If you're going to stray into the territory of pushing memory timings to their limits for your build, also familiarize yourself with the specific method used to reset / clear BIOS; which you WILL need when you push a setting a bit too far and wind-up with a system that won't POST or boot.

It's nothing to get all that worried about....just clear BIOS and go back to it. Obviously, keeping notes of what you're doing, what works, what doesn't work, and the last series of settings that worked for you--all of this is highly individualistic to your combination of hardware, BTW.

These links should get you started in the direction of understanding what you would be doing, and why:

https://www.masterslair.com/memory-ram-overclocking-guide-ddr3

now its running at 16.0GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 722MHz (11-11-11-28) is that normal for 1600mhz ddr3

Well, depending on the specific memory that you have in the machine, you might be able to take that down to 8-8-8-24; but, move slowly on it, and check the system stability over time.

You'll find the sweet spot for your particular combination of hardware; and it is ALL ABOUT how those components interact with each other, rather than getting some sort of "Holy Grail" numbers from a specific set of memory modules.

TRENDING THREADS