How do I make my SSD (D Drive) my main drive?

ianCtoe24

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016
I boot from my SSD.
Priorities
1. SSD 500GB- D: Drive
2. HDD 1TB- F: Drive
3. HDD 500GB- C: Drive
I have the windows icon on my C: drive in File Explorer. I want it on my D: drive. I also want to remove everything off of my C: drive so it acts as storage. It used to have windows 7 on it, If I boot with the 500GB first in BIOS. It leads me to a corrupted version of Windows 7. Best way to go about this?

Solution
In your bios you determine which disk is first searched for a boot record.

So if you want your current D: to be the first disk searched then you can change that in BIOS.

HOWEVER if D: does not contain a valid boot partition, then BIOS will go on to search for the next disk or will end up with something corrupt.

There is no easy way to do what you want.

Assuming you have nothing that you need to keep on your D: drive.
You clone your C: drive onto your current D: and then change your boot order.

You need to boot either form usb or cd something like clonezilla. Then clone C: to D:, note that in clonezilla the disks won't be called C: or D: so be careful as to which disk gets copied and which one is overwritten.

Your other option is...

USAFRet

Titan

What you're describing does not make a lot of sense.

Disregard the "drive letters" for now.
What actual drives do you have in this system?
What drive is the OS on?
Desktop or laptop?

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
In your bios you determine which disk is first searched for a boot record.

So if you want your current D: to be the first disk searched then you can change that in BIOS.

HOWEVER if D: does not contain a valid boot partition, then BIOS will go on to search for the next disk or will end up with something corrupt.

There is no easy way to do what you want.

Assuming you have nothing that you need to keep on your D: drive.
You clone your C: drive onto your current D: and then change your boot order.

You need to boot either form usb or cd something like clonezilla. Then clone C: to D:, note that in clonezilla the disks won't be called C: or D: so be careful as to which disk gets copied and which one is overwritten.

Your other option is to remove C: disk and re-intsall new OS onto the remaining (old D). Once you have new OS running you can add the old disk and reformat it.

Solution