[SOLVED] How do I make this rig Dual Channel??

green_salad

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
ryzen 5 2600
1x8 GB 2666mhz ( Tried 3000 but I had issues blue screens freezes etc , with 2666 I am cool )
b450M-ds3h

I saw that my motherboard supports dual channel.
Thats the memory I am using : https://www.skroutz.gr/s/9470608/G-Skill-Aegis-8GB-DDR4-3000MHz-F4-3000C16S-8GISB.html
*But on CPU-Z it reads it as F4-3000C16-8GISB withouth the S after 16 but I couldnt find such a model online so I guess its a bug ?

On a previous forum I saw that if I dont buy ram as a kit Its actually a lucky shot if 2 single sticks will work as dual channel , is that how it works? Even If I buy the same exact memory and run the same frequency it isnt 100% certain that I will get dual channel ? Is there a way to make it happen 100%? ( Besides getting a kit if thats the case )
Saw that dual channel increases fps by a really big amount so.. ;)

Thanks.

Solution
So after a big search for those specs if I get to see a ram that matches mine 100% I get the dual channel 100%?? Or is it still a chance thing ?
Even sticks from the same kit can fail sometimes as an exception. So there is nothing 100%. But yes, if those 3 variables match together, along with the frequency, there is 95% chance that it will work. But mixing sticks is not really advised and should be your last option.
I saw that if I dont buy ram as a kit Its actually a lucky shot if 2 single sticks will work as dual channel , is that how it works? Even If I buy the same exact memory and run the same frequency it isnt 100% certain that I will get dual channel ?
Yes. Compatibility issues are possible. Ryzen cpus are especially sensitive to ram.
It might run fine, might require manual tweaking of ram parameters in bios or might refuse to work altogether.
You won't know until you have tried it.

BTW - motherboard BIOS update may improve ram compatibility. So make sure, you have latest (non-beta) bios.

Reactions: green_salad

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
kits are factory matched and tested to work as a single unit. impurities in the die the chips come from, where the chips are cut from the die and myriad other factors come into play here. it is rare to find a match for a single stick of RAM out of the box.

I have had twins made 1 apart in the same factory not work together in dual channel RAM. serial numbers off by 1, no go.
buy the kit and sell your stick. this is the only way to get the guaranteed outcome you want.

Even If I buy the same exact memory and run the same frequency it isnt 100% certain that I will get dual channel ? Is there a way to make it happen 100%?

A RAM stick has various specs which needs to match to be called as "same exact". Specifically, when the below 3 fields match with the two different sticks along with frequency, then only they can be same...

For Example:

CAS Latency
Voltage
1.35 V
Timing
15-17-17-35

You match these specs with two different sticks, and you got a kit.

As a sidenote, even though its hit and miss, more often than not two different sticks do tend to work in my experience.

Last edited:

green_salad

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
A RAM stick has various specs which needs to match to be called as "same exact". Specifically, when the below 3 fields match with the two different sticks, then only they can be same...

For Example:

CAS Latency
Voltage
1.35 V
Timing
15-17-17-35

You match these specs with two different sticks, and you got a kit.

As a sidenote, even though its hit and miss, more often than not two different sticks do tend to work in my experience.

So after a big search for those specs if I get to see a ram that matches mine 100% I get the dual channel 100%?? Or is it still a chance thing ?

So this ?
https://www.skroutz.gr/s/9519501/G-Skill-16GB-DDR4-3000MHz-F4-3000C16D-16GISB.html

Its the same ram I have but its a kit that will work as dual right ?
If I also add the other ram I have it will run single channel but with 24gigs ?

I'd suggest you buy a proper 2 piece ram kit and forget about the single stick you now have...trying to plug it in along side the new kit will cause all kinds of issues...not the least of which is the motherboards ram slots are likely "daisy chain topology" and are not really meant to run 3 or 4 sticks. It "might" do it...but the ram speed will be held well below what the 2 piece kit is capable of running by itself and the extra ram wont make up for the slow down.

Additionally you should know Ryzen CPU's really like fast memory with tight timings...always go CAS14 instead of CAS16 when you have the option...CAS14 3200mhz is as fast as CAS16 3600mhz on Ryzen.

green_salad

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
I'd suggest you buy a proper 2 piece ram kit and forget about the single stick you now have...trying to plug it in along side the new kit will cause all kinds of issues...not the least of which is the motherboards ram slots are likely "daisy chain topology" and are not really meant to run 3 or 4 sticks. It "might" do it...but the ram speed will be held well below what the 2 piece kit is capable of running by itself and the extra ram wont make up for the slow down.

Additionally you should know Ryzen CPU's really like fast memory with tight timings...always go CAS14 instead of CAS16 when you have the option...CAS14 3200mhz is as fast as CAS16 3600mhz on Ryzen.

I know ryzen likes fast memory but I had really big issues with 3000mhz on mine , I contacted my techician and he said I was just unlucky and didnt got a good copy of cpu. With 2666 pc runs fine if I get above that I get freezes blue screens etc..

Even sticks from the same kit can fail sometimes as an exception. So there is nothing 100%. But yes, if those 3 variables match together, along with the frequency, there is 95% chance that it will work. But mixing sticks is not really advised and should be your last option.

Solution
I know ryzen likes fast memory but I had really big issues with 3000mhz on mine , I contacted my techician and he said I was just unlucky and didnt got a good copy of cpu. With 2666 pc runs fine if I get above that I get freezes blue screens etc..

I can't over emphasize how important running the latest BIOS is for memory stability and compatibility with Ryzen...the early release BIOS on some b450 and x470 boards was not so good. I'd be looking at the BIOS as the issue before placing blame on the memory controller of the CPU. As long as you're running memory qualified by the board maker and the latest BIOS there's no reason you shouldn't be able to hit 3200mhz or more.

Just looked...there's a BIOS for your board that literally dropped yesterday that updates the agesa.

Reactions: gskill support

green_salad

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
I can't over emphasize how important running the latest BIOS is for memory stability and compatibility with Ryzen...the early release BIOS on some b450 and x470 boards was not so good. I'd be looking at the BIOS as the issue before placing blame on the memory controller of the CPU. As long as you're running memory qualified by the board maker and the latest BIOS there's no reason you shouldn't be able to hit 3200mhz or more.

Just looked...there's a BIOS for your board that literally dropped yesterday that updates the agesa.

Oh damn I am still on version F4 back on january of 2019 , tons of updates since then. That should be it then , I lost many agesa updates. But the guy that made my pc said its all up to date even bios and chipsets lol...
I am too scared to update them myself though with flash drives , I have done it before no problems but its kinda risky I assume.

Oh damn I am still on version F4 back on january of 2019 , tons of updates since then. That should be it then , I lost many agesa updates. But the guy that made my pc said its all up to date even bios and chipsets lol...
I am too scared to update them myself though with flash drives , I have done it before no problems but its kinda risky I assume.
Just follow these instructions and you should be fine...
https://www.wikihow.com/Update-Your-Computer's-BIOS

It's not really risky, just make sure to read and follow the notes for the BIOS...it looks like you might have to flash one or two earlier BIOS files before flashing to the most up to date version. You shouldn't have any problems with updating it yourself...as long as the power doesn't go out in the middle of flashing there shouldn't be any issues. Also that 2600 should have a 3 year warranty on it so if it turns out it actually does have a faulty memory controller I'd contact AMD and arrange a replacement.

green_salad

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
It's not really risky, just make sure to read and follow the notes for the BIOS...it looks like you might have to flash one or two earlier BIOS files before flashing to the most up to date version. You shouldn't have any problems with updating it yourself...as long as the power doesn't go out in the middle of flashing there shouldn't be any issues. Also that 2600 should have a 3 year warranty on it so if it turns out it actually does have a faulty memory controller I'd contact AMD and arrange a replacement.

Ok so I did all the bios update up to the newest , all working fine . I will slowly build up my ram frequency and see if I get any issues starting at 2733 towards 3000.