How do I manage my GPU fan speed?

sjpeer

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
My GPU fan runs loud constantly. I can go into an "EPU" software program provided by ASUS and switch my "power saving" mode and the fan speed and noise decrease significantly. However, this has caused the computer to freeze (I assume because of overheating on the GPU). I don't think the software adjusts the fan speed dynamically.

What should I do to manage the fan speed and ensure proper cooling while minimizing noise when not doing graphic-intensive computing?

Mobo:
ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131646

GPU:
EVGA GeForce GTX460
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V8ATWC/ref=oss_product

pumpkin_eater

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Well, does not your scenario indicate that you need more cooling in your system. The fan spins because the GPU is hot, and you have no margin to lower fan speed since your system becomes unstable. Ergo, you would need more cooling. No?

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I tend to think pumpkin_eater is on the right track. The fan spins up because the card is getting too hot, which means it's not getting enough cool air. Try removing the case's side panel, and/or aiming a house fan at it, and see if that helps.

If opening the case helps, one of these two things could be happening.
1. There's not enough fresh air getting into the case. This can be amended by adding an intake fan, or fans. Of course, that air needs to get out as well, but it can usually leak out through vents and/or cracks in the seals of the case.
2. The air in the area around the card isn't circulating, so it grows stagnant and just increases in temperature. Again, a fan can cure the problem.

I'm a firm believer in the positive air pressure concept.

In positive air pressure configs, you use fans to push more air into the case than can readily escape. This ensures that all air comes in through the fans themselves and does not get drawn in through other case openings, like vents, unused 5-1/4" bays, and panel cracks. (PC cases are not airtight.) The fans should be filtered, of course, to prevent dust from entering the case and clogging heatsinks.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
No, his first complaint is that his card's fan is loud, which is usually caused by it having to speed up significantly to cool the card. Enabling the power saving feature was his method of combating the noise, which caused lock-ups, which again is likely related to heat.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Meh, I'm not going to speak for the OP, but it sounds to me like he is aware of the need for higher fan speeds under load, hence the desire for software with dynamic speed adjustment. Adding fans won't help his noise levels when not under load, and it would be silly to leave the GPU fan speed at a low speed under load and try and compensate by adding case fans when a piece of software would fix the problem more efficently.

I would first make sure that the GPU fan is working properly on it's Auto setting by using Afterburner. Make sure Auto is highlighted on the Fan tab, then click 'Apply'. Then play some games or use the bundled Kombustor stress-test software that comes with Afterburner. Once you verify that the fan is or is not working correctly on Auto setting, then you can move on to the next step, if necessary. I'd say just that fact that you are using Asus software on an EVGA card is the first thing I would address. Afterburner, while branded by MSI, works on any name brand card.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Afterburner-2.0.0-Final-download-2562.html

TRENDING THREADS