Question How do I merge comments from one PDF file with another PDF file?

Dimitri001

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
I was working on this PDF file in PDF - XChange Editor, marking it up with comments. I tried to save the file, but my disk was full and then things went south. The text disappeared. When I open the file I get the error message "Error loading object - Misaligned object"

When I open in XChange Editor I see no text, if I open in Chrome, I see jumbled text.

The comments I made are still in there and readable, tho and I DO have an unmangled version of the PDF, but without the comments. I desperately need the comments in an unmangled version of this file.

So I either need a way to merge the comments from the messed up file with an integral version of the file, or a way to unmangle the mangled file.

Anyone know how I might do either?

If a file is corrupt it's pretty much done. There is no way to just extract the comments and stick them into another file, the comments are text but they are linked to specific locations in the document. Have you tried opening the file in Adobe Reader or another PDF editor?

Dimitri001

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
If a file is corrupt it's pretty much done. There is no way to just extract the comments and stick them into another file, the comments are text but they are linked to specific locations in the document.

The thing is, the comments are not linked to text, they are just floating (you can drag them around the screen, they're inside a little text bubble icon), if that makes any difference. And the document that I would be moving them to would have the same number of pages.

Have you tried opening the file in Adobe Reader or another PDF editor?

I have, but I just get jumbled text

Last edited by a moderator: