[SOLVED] How do I migrate my windows 10 from one drive to another?

Solution
The m.2 is a samsung 970 evo plus, 1 tb. My current C drive is a 2.5 inch samsung 850 evo, 250 gb. Waiting on a new motherboard. Don't know the amount of space I've consumed on the C drive, wont know till I got da monies ><. I suppose either cloning or fresh install would be good.
For a new motherboard, forget cloning.
Fresh install.

For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Beave89

Reputable
Jul 11, 2019
I don't have a USB drive or disc with windows on it. Should I put iso file from the internet on a usb drive And then boot from it, with my sata ssd unhooked then go through the steps and select the m.2 as my drive? Then after that format my secondary sata ssd? Are there other ways to do it?

Beave89

Reputable
Jul 11, 2019
The m.2 is a samsung 970 evo plus, 1 tb. My current C drive is a 2.5 inch samsung 850 evo, 250 gb. Waiting on a new motherboard. Don't know the amount of space I've consumed on the C drive, wont know till I got da monies ><. I suppose either cloning or fresh install would be good.

USAFRet

Titan
For a new motherboard, forget cloning.
Fresh install.

For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Solution
If it is too painful to reinstall apps and settings use the samsung ssd migration app to move your current C drive to the new 970.
Download and install the samsung pcie driver.
Download the app and read the instructions.
Run the aid and disconnect your original source drive which will be unchanged.
Keep it as a backup until you know that the conversion was good.

Why are you changing motherboards?
Usually, it is to support a new processor.
When you get the new motherboard it is possible that you can boot with the m.2. You can then install the new motherboard drivers and you are good to go.

If a clean windows install is not a big deal, that is the way to go.

Don't know the amount of space I've consumed on the C drive, wont know till I got da monies...
look in "This PC" using Windows Explorer.
it will show all attached drives, their sizes and their free space.

and what does checking your disk space have to do with having "monies"?
Waiting on a new motherboard.
what are your current specs
and what board are you waiting on arriving?

Beave89

Reputable
Jul 11, 2019
To be clear, I'm out of a system at the moment because my motherboard is dead. Thats what the monies was a reference to. I already have both the drives in question,I know when I hook up the sata ssd on the new motherboard, I'll have windows, just not a authentic version. Ty for the tips guys :) ima go the route of the fresh install I think. Reading your link, USAFRet.

Beave89

Reputable
Jul 11, 2019
Bonham, to answer your question, I'm leaning towards the asrock h470 steel legend because I wanna keep my i5-10400. Hopefully my i5 isnt dead too. My current specs are the i5+16 gigs ram and a rx 5600 xt, sapphire, 250 gig 850 evo, 1 tb 970 evo plus. Building in a fractal define 7 with noctua fans and a extra 2 tb wd blue hdd. I short-circuited my mobo in the process of transferring it to my new case.

Beave89

Reputable
Jul 11, 2019
I made a rookie mistake. I believe the mistake I made was not using the extra standoff included with the define 7 for matx mobos. Motherboard contacted the case metal I suppose?