[SOLVED] How do I migrate Windows 10 to a new HDD/SSD without cloning and no install disc?

Uraneum

Honorable
Oct 19, 2015
I have two PCs, each with Windows 10 Home 64-bit linked to its own Microsoft account. Each are running Windows on a 1TB HDD right now. One I'd like to simply switch from the current HDD to another 1TB HDD, and the other I'd like to upgrade to a 2TB SSD with a UEFI-based partition.

I do not have any install discs and I really do not want to use cloning software. One HDD is already very old and I'm afraid it'll die in the process of cloning, and the other I don't even think would work because I want to switch to UEFI partition. I'm really at a loss here because every article/tutorial/video I go to just tells me to clone the drive. This forum has always been an absolute savior in my time of need, so I'm coming here to ask: What do I do? What are my options? Thank you in advance.

Solution
Go online and download the install from Microsoft onto a USB.

Take the time NOW to transfer all the items you want to keep, particularly off the possibly failing drive, to an external drive and/or purchase from drive space from the various cloud options for a month or even permanently.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

Take the time NOW to transfer all the items you want to keep, particularly off the possibly failing drive, to an external drive and/or purchase from drive space from the various cloud options for a month or even permanently.

Solution

Uraneum

Honorable
Oct 19, 2015

Thanks for your response, and I apologize but I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right page. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 I assume I follow the steps listed here?

Reactions: punkncat
The site in your link will download the MCT (Media Creation Kit), which is the tool you will run to download the install files to a USB flash drive or DVD.
I guess you know that doing it this way means that you'll need to reinstall all of your apps. Since you don't want to clone, you could use a backup/restore utility to avoid having to reinstall. I've been using the free version of Macrium Reflect for this, but there are numerous others as well.