How do I move just the files from my old SSD that has Windows 7 onto a new SSD that has WIndows 10?

subratrix

Prominent
Feb 14, 2018
I bought upgrades for my computer (new motherboard, new CPU (went from AMD to Intel if it matters) and new RAM (DDR3 to DDR4)) as well as Windows 10. I will be installing Windows 10 (Home edition if it matters) into a new SSD I got (it is a Samsung 500GB M.2 SSD). My old SSD has Windows 7 and all of my files on it. What I want to do is move all the important files over without any issues. Is it as simple as drag and drop? Is there something special I need to do so there aren't any conflict issues with the two different versions of Windows? Thank you for any help in advance. Files I want to be moved over are things like files in My Documents, My Videos, My Photos, iTunes, etc. I understand some things I will need to redownload because there is a separate Windows 10 version. For my storage, I have two 1TB HHD drives, one of them has a fresh backup on it of my computer right now (before the upgrades, the other is blank), one Samsung 500GB SSD (that has all of the data on it), and I just got the Samsung M.2 SSD which I plan to use for Windows 10 and all the files (I only have about 200GB in total of space I will use up on this SD). Let me know if I need to provide any more information to help with the solutions, I will check if this gets answers very frequently as I am hoping to do this within the next few days. Thanks! :)

Additional info:
Motherboard: Went from Asus Sabertooth to Asus ROG Strix
RAM: Went from Ballistix DDR3 (2 x 8GB) to Ballistix Sport (2 x 8GB)
Processor: Went from AMD FX 6300 to Intel i5 8400

Update: Someone mentioned something I forgot. Since the SSD's are Samsung, I can use Samsung's data migration tool (which works very well) to clone hard drives, move data, etc (not sure if this is what I need in this case but I am looking into it).

subratrix

Prominent
Feb 14, 2018

Ah! I knew I left out something. The Samsung SSD's I bought came with a data migration software which works magnificently. So that part I don't need to worry about. But what I understand from what you said, I can access all the files on the SSD that will still have Windows 7 on it like normal? I'll definitely do what you said and take out the old hard drives, load Windows 10 onto the M.2 SSD, then put the hard drives back in.

Also: Google Chrome wouldn't let me reply, it like bugged out so when I went to type, the text box disappeared and all I was left with was the "Add a solution" dropdown box, the same happen to you? It works fine on Internet Explorer apparently..

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018

Yes that is correct. You will see your files on the drive with win7 on it, just like a DVD or any other drive.

As for the browser, I use Firefox, but I read other complaints about browser issues lately.

subratrix

Prominent
Feb 14, 2018

Okay, I want to thank you for your help and very quick response. I was trying to Google my problem and after hours of searching, I came up empty handed until I came here. This was actually my first post and I made an account just for this haha. I marked your first response as the answer, I hope I did this right. I hope you have a good rest of your day. :)

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018

Oh, you are welcome and thank you for the feedback! Good day for you as well!