How do I move my OS from my HDD to a brand new SSD?

sam_farhan94

Commendable
Aug 16, 2017
The problem that I'm having is that my HDD is 500GB and the data occupying it is 400GB+ and my new SSD is only 120GB in size. How do I move my OS from my old HDD to my new SSD without any data loss? I'm planning on using the SSD just for my OS while my HDD will be used for storage. And I can't backup my files since I don't have an external hard drive that is big enough to be used to backup my data. Is there a way for me to JUST move the OS and not wipe the data from my old HDD?

You will have to do a clean/fresh install on the ssd and then move over as much data/stuff as possible.

You can use some software ( example ) that excludes folders but if you use that on your program files it will obviously not work on all programs,also I doubt there is a free alternative to those programs and they are pretty expensive for pretty much a one time thing.

sam_farhan94

Commendable
Aug 16, 2017

Is it possible if the data from my HDD is much larger than the max size of the SSD?

sam_farhan94

Commendable
Aug 16, 2017

There's no way for me to just move the old OS? Along with the settings I mean

Rumbletum

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Yes. I have copied an OS both to a SATA drive and an SSD and left the data on the source drive.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011M8YACM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1