[SOLVED] How do I move my OS from my HDD to my SSD?

CoffeeStoreGuy

Honorable
May 7, 2017
Been looking things up, but there are multiple answers, and now I'm here. I don't know if it can be as simple as moving the files to the SSD, but I don't think so.

Solution
Just your OS?
You would basically need to uninstall all your programs after moving all your games [that use a launcher (Steam,Origin,Uplay...)], your docs, pics, music, videos, downloads, emails... to another drive. Once that all done, you clone the current drive to the new drive.

Many SSD's come with cloning software. Samsungs is excellent for their SSD's and Macrium Reflect Free is as well AND works on all SSD's. Be warned you cannot easily go from an AHCI Sata drive to an NVME.

popatim

Titan
Just your OS?
You would basically need to uninstall all your programs after moving all your games [that use a launcher (Steam,Origin,Uplay...)], your docs, pics, music, videos, downloads, emails... to another drive. Once that all done, you clone the current drive to the new drive.

Many SSD's come with cloning software. Samsungs is excellent for their SSD's and Macrium Reflect Free is as well AND works on all SSD's. Be warned you cannot easily go from an AHCI Sata drive to an NVME.

Solution