How do I move my windows 7 OS from an HDD to an SSD without moving the rest of my files?

Odeni

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016
Basically what the title says. I am looking to buy an SSD for my OS. I want to keep all of my other files (Steam Games, Pictures, etc.) on my HDD. Is there a way to only transfer my OS?

Solution
No, not a reliable one anyway. If you transfer the OS, you'll get all sorts of problems - because the OS will look for programs on the same drive, they won't be there. There are also other reasons that mean it won't work.

Unfortunately your best bet is to fresh install onto the new SSD - this is no bad thing because it's good to reinstall the OS every now and again.

Mattios

Honorable
No, not a reliable one anyway. If you transfer the OS, you'll get all sorts of problems - because the OS will look for programs on the same drive, they won't be there. There are also other reasons that mean it won't work.

Unfortunately your best bet is to fresh install onto the new SSD - this is no bad thing because it's good to reinstall the OS every now and again.

Solution