How do I move windows 8.1 to a new ssd without losing my pathing on all my other hard drives and without reinstalling windows?

cstiles96

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
So I have windows 8.1 installed on a 128gb ssd and its full. Keep in mind that I have barely anything saved or installed to it. I have my games,programs,documents etc... installed or stored on my other 4 hard drives. I want to move my windows 8.1 from my 128gb ssd to another larger ssd. Now I dont want my paths to get messed up when I transfer it and I also dont want to re install windows 8.1 either. To further explain what I mean by paths: I have windows 8.1 installed on my ssd, and my documents are ""moved"" or ""linked"" to my 2tb hard drive, I also installed mostly all my programs to my 2tb hard drive as well. I have my games installed on 2 separate drives, one is a 512gb ssd and the other is a 690gb ssd/hdd hybrid drive. Ok so now I plan to buy a 250gb ssd or another 512gb ssd to transfer windows 8.1 to. Is there a way to do so without re installing windows 8.1 and without losing any data or my paths?

cstiles96

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

Is there a specific reason I unplug the other drives? Just wondering for future reasons. So to clarify I unplug all drives except for the ssd with the OS and then clone that drive to the new ssd, then unplug the old ssd and put the new boot ssd in its place, then plug in my other drives and my paths and data, programs,games,documents etc will be safe and working just like before?

cstiles96

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Also what size ssd should I go for? the 250gb or 512gb? I dont know why the 128gb ssd filled up, and my friend has a 250gb ssd, and he was smart on how he installed stuff just like me. Any Ideas on why they are filling up?

Nuwan Fernando

Distinguished
You got it correct.

If you have your other HDDs, you might select a wrong drive for cloning accidentally.
Also if you plug the SSD with all other HDDs are placed, windows might remember the disk configuration and will try to keep that setting even after you changed the Drives. That might risk your path configurations..

cstiles96

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

Ok I figured that was the case but just wanted to clarify. Thank you so much this will save me so much time and money! Hopefully I can afford the new ssd soon as I only have 13gb left on my ssd! Do I have to replug the other hard drives in the EXACT same spots or does that only matter with the old boot drive?

Nuwan Fernando

Distinguished
It matters. Because the windows will index them (C,D,E) in the order they are attached. also if you are going to partition your new SSD, you have to do that after cloning and attaching all other HDDs, then it'll create the new partition as the last letter.But that can also be changed manually too.

cstiles96

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

Ok thanks, so take a picture before I start pulling cables lol. Thanks for the info on partitions just in case. I wont be partitioning it but if someone else finds this Im sure it would be helpful!

TRENDING THREADS