Question How do I navigate through BIOS with all USB ports disabled?

Mar 6, 2020
Hi, this is essentially what happened before I got this problem.
I wanted to do a fresh Windows 10 installation but it kept freezing and giving me errors while completing it. I worked out it is something to do with BIOS, as my motherboard is quite old. Tried updating BIOS to a newer version but it did not help and also made it even worse because the keyboard would't work for the first 5-10 seconds, so it was impossible to enter BIOS settings. Then I did a BIOS reset by taking out the motherboard battery. Now all USB ports are disabled (they are supplied with power but devices don't work) and I am stuck on 'BIOS has been reset- please decide how to continue' screen.
- I have tried resetting BIOS again
-I have tried two keyboards
-I have tried plugging into all USB ports, none of them work unfortunately
-I have used ps/2 adapter with both keyboards and a mouse- surprisingly ps/2 port does not work. I thought this would solve my problem...
-I have disconnected the power supply cable and waited some time before booting again
-I should also mention that all USB ports worked before and I have not disabled any of them in device manager

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
CPU: Intel i3, I can't remember the exact model
GPU: geforce gtx650ti 2gb

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020
and the system spec?
unplug the hdd, it will boot to bios
Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
CPU: Intel i3, I can't remember the exact model
GPU: geforce gtx650ti 2gb

I have unplugged it and it still brings the same screen- 'BIOS has been reset- please decide how to continue'

Mar 6, 2020
Is there a reset jumper on the board indicated as CMOS RESET?

If so, that should reset things so that USB is enabled.
It does say CLR_CMOS on the motherboard with two pins above it. Not sure how to go about resetting it though

IMG-20200306-213531.jpg

Mar 6, 2020
There used to be jumpers included on boards to reset it, though I guess you could use just about anything that will close the circuit between the two of them for a few seconds.
I actually found a pdf manual online and used a screwdriver to close the circuit. It pretty much did what removing the battery did before, so I am still stuck on the same screen with all USB ports disabled unfortunately.
IMG-20200306-222611.jpg

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
WTF?? A reset, and it STILL insists that all the USB ports are disabled?

I'm at a loss, that's insane! The default should allow the USB ports to work.

EDIT: I don't suppose you have a USB-to-PS2 adapter, or any old USB keyboard or mouse to work with? I realize it's an Ivy Bridge era board, but still, demanding that you have a PS2 keyboard and/or mouse even back then is archaic. I'd give walking papers to whatever engineer decided that.

Mar 6, 2020
WTF?? A reset, and it STILL insists that all the USB ports are disabled?

I'm at a loss, that's insane! The default should allow the USB ports to work.

EDIT: I don't suppose you have a USB-to-PS2 adapter, or any old USB keyboard or mouse to work with? I realize it's an Ivy Bridge era board, but still, demanding that you have a PS2 keyboard and/or mouse even back then is archaic. I'd give walking papers to whatever engineer decided that.
Yeah, it's not giving up...
I would have never though it takes so much effort just to enable USB ports.
I do have a female USB to male ps/2 adapter, that I specifically ordered just to solve this problem but it doesn't work either lol. I also read that adapters might not work for some reason and I don't have a ps/2 keyboard...
I don't have any more ideas at the moment lol

Mar 6, 2020
The only other thing I can think of is maybe if there's a PC shop nearby that'll sell you a cheap PS/2 keyboard, or let you borrow it?

Because otherwise, all I've got is:
triple-facepalm.jpg
I've ordered one on ebay and will update you if it works once I get it. If it doesn't then that pc is going out the window lol

Reactions: King_V