[SOLVED] How do I organise my two drives better?

benjyphilpott

Commendable
Dec 27, 2017
So I just got a new laptop with a 512gb ssd and a 1tb HDD and I wanted to have windows on the SSD but everything else like apps or downloads on the HDD. How can I do this?

Side note: Any way I can share these apps with other users if i do this?

Solution
When you click on the install .exe file to start the installation, it should prompt you to choose an installation directory. It looks like:
"Install to "C:/programs/<name of program>"
You should be able to click on this and change where it will be installed. You'll just have to manually create a 'program files' folder before beginning the installation so you can keep them neatly stored in a identifiable 'programs' folder instead of cluttered all over the place. This is up to you however, it's not essential, just practical.

And yes they will work regardless of who is logged in, as long as both drives are working.

P.S: Not all programs allow you to choose install destination, like chrome for example. So be ready for that. Some programs...
When you click on the install .exe file to start the installation, it should prompt you to choose an installation directory. It looks like:
You should be able to click on this and change where it will be installed. You'll just have to manually create a 'program files' folder before beginning the installation so you can keep them neatly stored in a identifiable 'programs' folder instead of cluttered all over the place. This is up to you however, it's not essential, just practical.

And yes they will work regardless of who is logged in, as long as both drives are working.

P.S: Not all programs allow you to choose install destination, like chrome for example. So be ready for that. Some programs you may have to look for an 'advanced isntallation' or 'custom installation' button to do this.

Solution

benjyphilpott

Commendable
Dec 27, 2017

P.S: Not all programs allow you to choose install destination, like chrome for example. So be ready for that. Some programs you may have to look for an 'advanced isntallation' or 'custom installation' button to do this.
Alrighty, I'll give that a go. Thanks