How do I overclock my GT 1030 /w MSI Afterburner?

BakphooN

Prominent
May 30, 2017
Total noob question, I know. But how do I do it and what should I overclock it to without frying it?? PC specs:

i3 2120 @ 3.3GHz
MSI GT 1030
4GB RAM

MSI H61M-P31 (G3) motherboard.

Solution
You can't really fry it unless you try really hard. You have a core clock and a memory clock you can raise or lower separately. The smart way to do it is raise each by SMALL amounts, then test the card for stability and temperatures. If everything is okay, raise it a bit more. Eventually you'll find the limit for the core and memory. Then back down to the next highest and stable clocks and you're done.

The dumb way is to just raise both clocks by a lot and maybe even raise the voltage while you're at it. Believe it or not, some people do that.

One thing though, overclocking will not fix problems with performance that is too low. You can't transform a GT 1030 into a more powerful card. You could count yourself lucky if you got a...
Those cards were not really made to be overclocked, they do not have a very good cooling setup. You have a pretty weak setup for gaming anyway with the slower CPU and only 4 gb of RAM, you will not see much boost in games on the small OC you may be able to safely do.

You can't really fry it unless you try really hard. You have a core clock and a memory clock you can raise or lower separately. The smart way to do it is raise each by SMALL amounts, then test the card for stability and temperatures. If everything is okay, raise it a bit more. Eventually you'll find the limit for the core and memory. Then back down to the next highest and stable clocks and you're done.

The dumb way is to just raise both clocks by a lot and maybe even raise the voltage while you're at it. Believe it or not, some people do that.

One thing though, overclocking will not fix problems with performance that is too low. You can't transform a GT 1030 into a more powerful card. You could count yourself lucky if you got a performance boost of a few percent. Going from 30fps to 32fps is what I mean, that to me isn't worth the trouble. If the 1030 isn't currently fast enough for you, that means you need a better card not an overclocked 1030.

Solution

BakphooN

Prominent
May 30, 2017

It's an OC edition so I thought why not XD Plus I think my setup is decent, I can play Rocket League max settings with 100 fps >.<

BakphooN

Prominent
May 30, 2017

1030 is sufficient enough for me but I thought if I could juice out a little bit more FPS xd