[SOLVED] How do I overclock my RX560 4GB GPU?

ShiroTheWolf

Reputable
Jun 4, 2019
Here are my specs:
GPU: RX560-4GB (Unplugged version, only takes power from the MB)
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x @3.80GHz
PSU: Thermaltake 760W
MB: MSI B450M Gaming plus
RAM: 16GB DDR4 Aegis
Hard Drives: WD 1TB (HDD) & Kingston 220GB (SSD)

I need to know a reliable way to overclock my AMD RX-560 4GB Graphics Card, I've watched multiple videos and read multiple forums, all with different ways and answers.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Download MSI Afterburner, and some sort of graphics stress test. I recommend Unigine heaven.
Max out power limit and temperature limit sliders. Don't worry about damage to the GPU as maxing the sliders in afterburner is still within manufactured safe limits. Start with a +100Mhz core clock, then run unigine heaven on loop, checking for crashes or artifacts. If either occur, decrease core clock. Otherwise, save the current profile and increase. Also try increasing memory clock the same way.
I also suggest you edit the fan curve, so that it is more aggressive, but only if you don't mind noise.
Never heard of a newer gpu's only running on mobo power tbf... But that limits it to 75W, the default TDP of a rx 560. This means that...

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020
Never heard of a newer gpu's only running on mobo power tbf... But that limits it to 75W, the default TDP of a rx 560. This means that overclocking will be very unstable and probably not possible. You can try to undervolt a bit to get higher clock speeds, but I doubt that will help a lot.

Reactions: ShiroTheWolf
Download MSI Afterburner, and some sort of graphics stress test. I recommend Unigine heaven.
Max out power limit and temperature limit sliders. Don't worry about damage to the GPU as maxing the sliders in afterburner is still within manufactured safe limits. Start with a +100Mhz core clock, then run unigine heaven on loop, checking for crashes or artifacts. If either occur, decrease core clock. Otherwise, save the current profile and increase. Also try increasing memory clock the same way.
I also suggest you edit the fan curve, so that it is more aggressive, but only if you don't mind noise.
Never heard of a newer gpu's only running on mobo power tbf... But that limits it to 75W, the default TDP of a rx 560. This means that overclocking will be very unstable and probably not possible. You can try to undervolt a bit to get higher clock speeds, but I doubt that will help a lot.
GT 1030 is relatively recent and runs off of the PCIe slot. The GTX 1650 is even more recent and is powered off the PCIe slot. But this card is definitely not new. You can definitely overclock it, as increasing the power limit should still stay within 75W in any trustworthy utility.

Solution

ShiroTheWolf

Reputable
Jun 4, 2019

GT 1030 is relatively recent and runs off of the PCIe slot. The GTX 1650 is even more recent and is powered off the PCIe slot. But this card is definitely not new. You can definitely overclock it, as increasing the power limit should still stay within 75W in any trustworthy utility.
Thanks for this, ill try it out and get back to you if i see improvements!

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020
My bad, never really worked with (older) low power GPU's, thanks for the heads up!

But yes, MSI afterburner is the way to go, work in small steps and don't worry if you have a soft crash, it won't brick your system.

ShiroTheWolf

Reputable
Jun 4, 2019

core clock says its at 1176 i dont know what that means

Undervolting, what does this term mean lol?

im sorry im super new to all of this
i never knew this stuff was possible until recently XD
Undervolting is when you lower the voltage supplied to the chip, and usually it is done to allow more current into the chip under the same power budget (Power = Voltage * Current), or to prevent overheating. Both of which will allow for higher overclocks. I wouldn't touch voltage until you get a stable OC, then see if lowering voltage does better.
core clock says its at 1176 i dont know what that means
There is a slider which says "Core Clock (MHz)" in MSI Afterburner. Move the slider to the right until it is +50.

Reactions: ShiroTheWolf
Undervolting, what does this term mean lol?

im sorry im super new to all of this
i never knew this stuff was possible until recently XD
MSI afterburner has a voltage curve graph that you can use. But I'm not sure exactly how it functions with AMD gpus. You can Google it or look on YouTube to see what others have done with the RX series of cards as far as undervolting is concerned. What you're trying to achieve is removing heat and not hitting the power limit of the card which will allow your GPU clocks to remain stable and possibly pushed up a little higher to achieve better all-around performance.

View: https://youtu.be/jnvA9CXPICI

Watch this video. Steve is working on the higher-tier RX 570 and 580, but the same theory and functionality will apply to the RX 560 as well.

Reactions: extreme_noob