[SOLVED] How do I overclock my Ryzen 5 2600 with only 1 case fan?

Feb 24, 2020
Hello, I've recently built my first gaming PC, and I'm not experienced in overclocking at all, nor do I have the knowledge to do so. My specs are as follows:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4Ghz (w/ stock wraith cooler)
GPU: MSI 1060 Aero ITX 6GB edition
RAM: 1x16 Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4 3200Mhz
PSU: ThermalTake Smart 600w
Motherboard: MSI B450M Gaming Plus mATX
Case: Coolmaster Q300L Airflow Case (w/ 1 stock case fan)

How do I overclock with these specs, and do I need a second or third case fan in order to have a stable PC and not overheat?

Solution
For CPU,no amount of case fans is going to help the fact that you just have a stock cooler. On the stock cooler, I wouldn't be surprised if you only hit a couple hundred MHz above base, which is significantly below boost making it not worth it. Even with good cooling, its likely still not going to oc above boost clock. Memory and PBO tuning gives much better yields than chip overclocking on ryzen anyways.
For CPU,no amount of case fans is going to help the fact that you just have a stock cooler. On the stock cooler, I wouldn't be surprised if you only hit a couple hundred MHz above base, which is significantly below boost making it not worth it. Even with good cooling, its likely still not going to oc above boost clock. Memory and PBO tuning gives much better yields than chip overclocking on ryzen anyways.

Solution

ItzEvolv

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2013
I'm not an overclocking professional. But I 'd ALWAYS recommend using more than 1 case fan with the setup you are running. You have a graphicscard that prodcuses quite some heat under load (any card does, basically) and the CPU itself would love to produce some heat aswell, totally when you're going to overclock.

The Coolmaster Q300L Airflow Case you're using as case, has place for two fans in the front as well. I would recommend just installing two fans in the front and one in the rear. Also, I'd recommend getting a beefy CPU cooler when overclocking.

Again, I'm not an overclocking professional, but I just discovered this OC guide @Darkbreeze made, that you could check out: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/cpu-overclocking-guide-and-tutorial-for-beginners.3347428/

Reactions: extreme_noob
I'm not an overclocking professional. But I 'd ALWAYS recommend using more than 1 case fan with the setup you are running. You have a graphicscard that prodcuses quite some heat under load (any card does, basically) and the CPU itself would love to produce some heat aswell, totally when you're going to overclock.

The Coolmaster Q300L Airflow Case you're using as case, has place for two fans in the front as well. I would recommend just installing two fans in the front and one in the rear. Also, I'd recommend getting a beefy CPU cooler when overclocking.

Again, I'm not an overclocking professional, but I just discovered this OC guide @Darkbreeze made, that you could check out: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/cpu-overclocking-guide-and-tutorial-for-beginners.3347428/
Exactly. You gotta have intake AND exhaust.

Reactions: ItzEvolv