How do I overclock with a MSI G45 gaming motherboard, and a i5 4670K?

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
hey everyone, I had the idea of overclocking my CPU, so before, I tried overclocking it before, it got up to 4,2ghz. It was ok and then I tried bumping it up to 4.4ghz. I restarted the computer. After, it blue screened on me, and it didn't boot. So I put it back to 3.4ghz. I wanted to overclock my computer for a while, but I wanted some help with the process and how to overclock it perfectly without problems.

If someone can help me, and guide me so I can properly overclock this CPU, that's will be great ;D This is my first time overclocking :D

I also don't know my stock temps are normal at 3.4ghz, they are normally around 39C, 40C, 41C, 42C. They go up, and down when I checked my bios.

My specs if you need to know, or something else:

i5 4670k
msi g45 gaming motherboard
cooler master hyper evo 212 heatsink with arctic silver 5 paste
EVGA gtx 770 acx cooler
samsung 840 pro ssd
WD black 1tb hdd
gskill 8gb 1600mhz sniper series ram
nzxt phantom 410 mid tower case

James Layne

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Try looking at this youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4yucCk_Zrc Be aware this guy got very lucky with the haswell chip he has. Personally I got to 4.4, VID 1.21 stable. Also based on your temperatures at 3.4 I would recommend reapplying your thermal paste. The pee method works well for me. Also make sure you got the bracket from the hyper 212 on there correctly. Ive personally messed that part up 3 times. With the same cpu cooler and at 4.4 my temps never go over 30C when Im browsing the web and what not. While gaming doesnt go over 60C.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

Actually lol, i did follow this video, and my CPU is now clocked at 4.4ghz. My temperatures are actually pretty stable now. My temps are still at 40C. Then i did a stress test, and they only went 10C up with 100% load. I think I also got a good chip :)

Later, I'll go pick up some more fans to cover all the slots my case has, and a h100i or kraken x60.

James Layne

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Actually lol, i did follow this video, and my CPU is now clocked at 4.4ghz. My temperatures are actually pretty stable now. My temps are still at 40C. Then i did a stress test, and they only went 10C up with 100% load. I think I also got a good chip :)

Later, I'll go pick up some more fans to cover all the slots my case has, and a h100i or kraken x60.

Nice sounds like you got a good one! If you are trying to achieve 4.6 or 4.8 then you definitely should look at these coolers otherwise the hyper 212 is a boss for the price! Whats your voltage input at?