How do I partition an a 1TB HDD to put Windows 10 OS on?

mdiiorgi

Reputable
Sep 27, 2015
I am planning on building a new computer soon and currently do not have a budget for an SSD. So I thought I could get an HDD and create a partition from that drive to hold just windows 10 os and some applications so that way when I upgrade to an ssd I can easily transfer the os and application to the ssd. Will this work and is this a good idea? Also how would I do this as I am currently running MAC OSX? Thanks!

Solution
To add to this once Windows is installed if you want you can shrink the partition for future SSD purposes(3rd party software can also be used if you have unmovable files in the way).

Some users like to keep files on another partition any way(I am a big fan of this).

The reason to install Windows first is that it will create some required partitions you do not see. Under normal circumstances you do NOT want to move the start of the Windows partition because that can cause startup issues.
To add to this once Windows is installed if you want you can shrink the partition for future SSD purposes(3rd party software can also be used if you have unmovable files in the way).

Some users like to keep files on another partition any way(I am a big fan of this).

The reason to install Windows first is that it will create some required partitions you do not see. Under normal circumstances you do NOT want to move the start of the Windows partition because that can cause startup issues.

Solution