How do I "POST" my KT7a-RAID?

Diesel

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi, this is my first crack at building my system...

All I have at the moment is my KT7a-RAID mounted in my case (FK-320b), a Plextor 12/10/32 CDRW, and a floppy disk drive. At this point i have not yet recieved my RAM or ordered a T-bird but want to make sure that my motherboard will get up and running and that my power supply is not defective etc... how to i get my KT7a-RAID to "POST" (power-on-self-test, i think?) I have not seen anything in my manual or on the KT7-FAQ (http://www.icrontic.com/faqs/kt7faq/kt7faq.htm) about how to do this... do i even have everything needed to POST my motherboard? Thanks!

- Brian

G

i think you notice post when you see the ram count. so to answer your question, no you don't have all the stuff needed. get the ram and you can try posting

Diesel

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ok thanks, so i need both the processor and RAM for it to post? Is there any other way to see if everything is operating? - Like, can i hook up the fans/switches/power supply and try to turn it on to see if the fans will run or is this a bad idea? (I REALLY dont want to screw anything up) heh, thanks!

- Brian

G

i would refrain from turning it on unless you have a heatsink on the cpu as well. did you order that yet?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The minimum you need besides the motherboard is CPU, memory, and video card.

You probably already know this but take it as a friendly warning.

NEVER, never, never power up an Athlon/Duron system without a heatsink and fan. The CPU will fry in 10 seconds without them.

When you do finally power up, WATCH the CPU fan. If it doesn't spin turn the system off immediately and recheck your connections.

When you pass this point, go into the BIOS, under PC Health, and just watch your CPU temperature. Make sure it levels off. I can't tell you at what temperature this will happen. It is different for different heatsinks/fans but if the temp reaches 70 degrees C then something is wrong. Re-install the heatsink if this happens.

These are just tips to protect your CPU investment.