How do I power all 6 of my fans

Oct 15, 2018
So I have just built my PC only to notice that i have a single fan header on my motherboard. Now I'm not sure how many on average a motherboard has but I currently have 6 fans in my system and only one is being powered. I'e Got 3 LL 120's, And 2 SP 120's In the system along with a Corsair Lighting Node Pro That came with the LL fans. So is there anyway to power all of these fans, Also don't feel like splitting one fan header off to 6 fans (Obviously) Thanks for you help in advance.

Oct 15, 2018

It's a B250G Strix Motherboard, What controller? Could you send a link for reference. Im not sure what the case has to do with it but it's a Corsair 570x

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
While the case make/model doesn't matter within this topic, the rest what The Paladin said is true. So, i don't get why you'd downvote his reply.

Average MoBo usually has 5x fan headers: CPU_FAN, CPU_OPT, SYS_FAN1, SYS_FAN2 and SYS_FAN3 (like my MSI Z170A Gaming M5). But with only 1x CHA_FAN header on your MoBo, besides 1x CPU_FAN header as well, you're looking towards fan hub if you want to power all your fans. Though, there are different fan hubs out there but regardless the fan hub used, all fans connected to it will run in sync (same speed). If you want individual control over each fan, then you'll need a fan controller.

Few examples of fan hubs:
Silverstone fan hub, specs: https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?area=en&pid=526
Can control 4-pin fans without issues via PWM mode but 3-pin fans plugged to it will run 100% all the time. Supports up to 8x fans.

Thermaltake Commander FX, specs: https://www.thermaltake.com/Cooling/Cooling_Accessory_/Fan_Controller/C_00002391/Commander_FX_10_Port_Fan_Hub/design.htm
Can control only 3-pin fans via DC mode and it doesn't support 4-pin fans. Supports up to 10x fans.

Phanteks fan hub, specs: http://www.phanteks.com/PH-PWHUB.html
Is unique since it can control both, 3-pin and 4-pin fans via PWM mode. Supports up to 6x fans.

Fan controllers come in 2 designs: internal and external.
Internal ones are similar to fan hubs, but bigger and cost a lot more money, e.g Corsair Commander Pro, NZXT Grid+ V3.
External fan controllers sit in the 5.25" external bay, e.g Thermaltake Commander F6 RGB, NZXT Sentry 3, Aerocool X-Vision. (I have all listed 3x external fan controllers in use between 3x of my builds, full specs with pics in my sig.)

the question about the case is related to the external controllers, if you had a NZXT case like mine and have NO slot for cdrom drive you will found yourself hard pressed to install a external controller on it and would have to spend more for an internal. so the question was to the point of a complete answer to the question related to how can I run 6 fans from 1 header. and I dont understand why I was downvoted either.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You quote six fans, and then list five. I am going to assume that the five you specify are all for case ventilation, and the sixth (unspecified) fan is on the CPU chip for its cooling. Correct or not?

Because you have a mix of three 4-pin PWM fans (LL120's) and two 3-pin fans (SP120's), you need a particular fan hub, the Phanteks PWM Hub

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAE3060P0642&cm_re=phanteks_owm_hub-_-11-984-004-_-Product

As Aeacus says, it is unique. Internally it "converts" the signals from a mobo 4-pin fan header that is using PWM Mode into a set of six 3-pin fan ports that use Voltage Control Mode. This is the ONLY Mode that can control the speed of 3-pin fans. But 4-pin fans also can work properly on this signal system because of a backwards compatibility feature of the fan design. A few application notes on it.

1. The Hub's instructions suggest you connect its female fan connector to the mobo CPU_FAN header, and then plug the actual CPU cooler into the Hub's white Port #1. That is only to be absolutely sure that the Hub does get the PWM signal it requires. But you do NOT need to connect this way. Plug only your actual CPU cooler into the mobo CPU_FAN header. Then connect the Hub's input cable to the mobo SYS_FAN header. Connect the Hub's power input cable to a SATA power output from the PSU. Make sure to connect one of your case fans to the Hub's white port #1 - this in the only fan whose speed signal will be reported to the mobo for display. In BIOS Setup be sure to go to that SYS_FAN header and configure it to use PWM Mode, so that the header sends that PWM signal to the Hub, then SAVE and EXIT.

2. The Hub's ports are closely spaced, so that it is hard to plug a 4-pin fan connector into the Hub's ports. BUT the Hub comes with two 3-pin fan Splitters. Plug those into two of its ports and the output connectors of the Splitters will fit into the connectors on your 4-pin LL120 fans. This does NOT overload the hub ports.