How do I power the 1080 ti graphics card?

Leeem26

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
I have myself the 1080 ti which requires 2 x 8 pin connectors.

The power supply I have is the EVGA 650w 80+ P2 which came with 2 x 6+2 PCIE connectors which also have 6 pin connectors attached to the same cables.

So my question is do I use 2 separate cables using only the 6+2 connectors both individually plugged into the PSU separately with the 6 pin connectors on each cable dangling freely?

You can actually use the single cable supplied with two sets of 6+2pins to be both plugged into the GTX 1080 Ti's two 8-pin sockets. However, most recommend using two separate cables (esp. if such cables have thinner wire gauge), to lessen the heat/load that passes through if only a single cable is used. So, for peace of mind, you can also do two separate cables where only one set of 6+2pin connector is plugged in each cable (while the other 6+2pin is unattached, as you mentioned).

Leeem26

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
Thanks for the quick confirmation responses guys.

I originally done this using the 2 sepearte cables as I described (new build) however when powering the system on it came up with a message on the monitor saying I need to use the correct power cables to power the graphics card, so I checked the cables over making sure everything was good to go (which it was I removed the cables and installed them correctly) (nothing had to be forced or anything of that nature) and when powering it up again the same message came up but this time a spark came from the graphics card and it smelled or burning so I turned the system off and removed the card straight away as I didn't want it to damage any other components.

I have tested a separate graphics card using the same cables, psu and pci slot on the motherboard and it works perfect, just that 1080 ti card did not work

Do you thinK I have received a faulty graphics card and need to send off for a replacement?

Spark and smell is very, very concerning.

My best GUESS would be that one of the power cables wasn't fully connected; it can be difficult with the 2+6-pin to line it up. That would explain:
a) the message about insufficient power, and
b) the spark (jumping the gap)

I suspect the PSU is fine. If the smell had been coming from it I would have been concerned. Hopefully the smell is just damaged plastic near the connector and nothing vital (we have warranties though).

When you first turn on the PC the graphics card doesn't consume very much power, so there's minimal stress to the power supply thus it's very unlikely it was the source of the problem.

The other alternative would be that the GTX1080Ti was defective to start with. So...

*My advice is put the GTX1080Ti back, be certain the connectors are FULLY INSERTED, then test it.

If the card does not work simply contact the company and tell them it appears to be DOA, then RMA a new one.