How do I prevent getting updates from other (infected) PCs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpy old man

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015
I understand that MS have decided to save resources for updates and that Windows 10 will get updates from any PC that has installed it already, something about "Windows Update Delivery Optimization" (WUDO). I see this as hackers' heaven! A hacker can take an update, alter it with his malware virus and Microsoft will distribute and install it on other PCs for him/her.

How can I be sure that the update is clean and downloaded direct from Microsoft?

Solution
hit the windows start key -> settings->update & security-> advanced options-> choose how updates are delivered

I selected get updated from Microsoft, and get updated from and send updated to
PCs on my local network.

(I trust my local home network and don't mind updating them from my copy of windows 10)

I did not want my machine to update from other PCs on the internet and did not really want to use my capped bandwidth to update internet PCs.

you can turn the feature off and you will only get updates from microsoft servers and your system will not update other machines.

I would think you would have the same effect if you told windows you have a metered connection. (just guessing)
hit the windows start key -> settings->update & security-> advanced options-> choose how updates are delivered

I selected get updated from Microsoft, and get updated from and send updated to
PCs on my local network.

(I trust my local home network and don't mind updating them from my copy of windows 10)

I did not want my machine to update from other PCs on the internet and did not really want to use my capped bandwidth to update internet PCs.

you can turn the feature off and you will only get updates from microsoft servers and your system will not update other machines.

I would think you would have the same effect if you told windows you have a metered connection. (just guessing)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS