How do I prevent static discharge from destroying my parts

nicaragua37321

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
I live in Florida where it is very humid and I have no carpet in my house. I want to build my pc now but I am afraid I will break it because I don't know if you can get a refund on dead parts if you don't have any kind of warranty, which I don't. So how do I put together my pc without breaking anything? (I do not own an anti-static wrist strap and I don't plan on purchasing one)

Solution

No you won't. All static wrist straps do is give you a false sense of security. The best way to build IMO is to work in a thoroughly clean area. I've built and rebuilt tons of systems including my own and I've never needed to use a static wrist strap, ever. The only time you would ever need to use a static wrist strap is if you're working with live (powered on) components. You have a far greater chance of shorting something out if it's plugged in and turned on than if you're building in a case that's turned off and not powered on. Static discharge is a concern but if...

Jeff Kaos

Distinguished
I'm at work so I can't link it but there's an article on pcgamer.com about this very subject. The truth is that it's extremely rare that you'll generate enough static discharge to fry components. Does it happen? Sure. But I wouldn't worry too much. If you're really concerned then I'd suggest building your rig barefoot and keep the system on a wooden table or something. If you're really paranoid you can always touch something metal before handling your parts in order to discharge any static you might've built up. But seriously, give that article a read. Like I said I can't link it but it was written within the last 2 weeks and has a lot of answers.

g-unit1111

Titan

No you won't. All static wrist straps do is give you a false sense of security. The best way to build IMO is to work in a thoroughly clean area. I've built and rebuilt tons of systems including my own and I've never needed to use a static wrist strap, ever. The only time you would ever need to use a static wrist strap is if you're working with live (powered on) components. You have a far greater chance of shorting something out if it's plugged in and turned on than if you're building in a case that's turned off and not powered on. Static discharge is a concern but if you clean the area you're going to build in prior to the build, you shouldn't need to worry, and that's more effective than wearing any kind of anti-static gloves or wrist straps.

Solution

juanrdp

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

No way. It's really rare and require several concidences to harm any pc component due a static discharge.
Could happend? maybe but it's the really weird thing that happends, not the usual outcome.

Deniedstingray

Honorable
Nov 2, 2015

I've worked on about 4 computers in my short pc gaming lifetime and the whole static shock scare is complete <mod edit>. As long as you arent doing the disco on a carpet with wool socks on you have pretty much nothing to worry about.

Watch the language. - G

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah that's definitely false. Most of the time the catalyst for a static discharge is dirt and dust. The best way to prevent this is by having a clean area where you're going to build. If the area where you're going to build is carpeted, use a plastic chair mat to cover the area where you're going to be building. The best way to prevent static discharge from being a thing is to prevent it from happening in the first place. Cleanliness is much more effective at preventing discharge than any kind of anti-static wrist straps or gloves will prevent.

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016

Makes sense, I'll bear that in mind for the future, thanks for the correction though (no sarcasm) :D

Jeff Kaos

Distinguished
Here's the thing: I worked for a company that built all sorts of PC's and medical equipment and they were EXTREMELY worried about this. So we had the entire manufacturing floor covered in anti-static carpet, each work bench was also covered in the same carpet, we had tiny chains hanging from the bottom of the metal carts we used to move parts and completed builds around and everyone wore anti static straps on their shoes. Oh, and we had to stand on some sort of sensor before we could enter the shop. But in all honesty I really doubt any of it made a difference but then again we were working with equipment that would end up selling for tens of thousands of dollars when finished so I get why they were cautious.

On the other hand I've plugged and pulled stuff on a running systems all willy nilly at home and never had anything short out. But also I don't suggest you do that. Take the advice above: clean your work space before you build and you'll be safe.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I can see that kind of paranoia existing when you're running a business where you sell products for thousands of dollars and there's liability involved. There's a difference between building on a mass scale like you're describing and building for an individual use when there's no liability involved. I get that. But there's a reason why clean rooms exist. Having a completely clean area is far more effective at preventing static discharge than just about any other precaution you can take.

Jeff Kaos

Distinguished

You're totally correct and your above answer is the best solution. As I read what you wrote I realized that was pretty much the main conclusion I got from that PC Gamer article I mentioned: dust and dirt are what you really want to watch out for.

nicaragua37321

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

Thanks, I'll give it a read. Also, my wooden table is glossy, would that be a problem? Highly doubt it

Jeff Kaos

Distinguished

A glossy table won't make a difference really. And it really is like g-unit1111 said: dust and dirt are really what you want to worry about. But I'd suspect that it would have to be a lot of dust to fry a system. Just make sure you're work space is clean and uncluttered, run a vacuum around it and you'll be good. Believe me, I can tell you some crazy things I've seen when I used to do RMA repairs, especially regarding foreign clients, that looked like there was no way a computer should start but it fired right up when I plugged it in. But hey, take a look at the article I mentioned, follow g-unit1111 suggestions and you'll be good. Post here how the build went when you're done.

g-unit1111

Titan

Actually it doesn't take a lot of dust. But when you touch dust to metal, that's what you want to worry about. So I always say the best way to prevent an electro-static discharge is to make sure that doesn't happen before your build. Cleanliness is a far more effective way of fighting static discharge than just about any other preventative measure you can take. No amount of static wrist straps or gloves can prevent dirt touching metal. And if you work in a carpeted area, having a plastic chair mat on the floor helps. So clean before you build, that's my motto. :lol:

Jeff Kaos

Distinguished

Words to live by and I'll be keeping it in mind as I build my new rig this weekend. Apparently the case should be here by tomorrow. Thought it wouldn't come until some time next week.