How do I properly set up my so called 7.1 surround headset?

Gillessss

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
I recently bought the Steelseries Arctis 3 headset to replace my old ps3 Turtlebeach. Havings some trouble with my mic volume etc.(which I fixed with reinstalling the audio drivers and boosting the mic volume) I had to do some research and found out that headsets do not have real 7.1 surround sound but only virtual surround. But this leaves me with the question how I properly set up this headset for the best gaming experience. I play a lot of pubg (pc) and knowing in what exact direction footsteps or gunshots are coming from is a big advantage. I've read threads on how stereo can create the same spacial awareness but i want to know what the best settings are for my headset.

So first i tried to set the Realtek HD audio driver from my asus mobo to 7.1 surround, but then the audio directly behind me was almost inaudible. I tried changing the format from dvd/cd to studio quality and back like some threads suggested, but this didnt work.
Another thread suggested using windows sonic for headphones, which i did. I went to my windows sounds settings and turned on the 7.1 virtual surround setting. Now i can clearly hear the sound coming from behind me, so i thought i figured it out. But i noticed turning this windows sonic feature on, it sets the settings in realtek back to stereo. Does this mean I cant use both? And is my device now set to stereo or surround? Is there a way to use the 7.1 surround setting on realtek without any flaws? I know these are quite a lot of questions, but i hope someone can help me understand and show me how to correctly set up my device.
Also one last thing. The headset has ofcourse its own software too. Wich also gives me the option to turn on 7.1 virtual surround, but when i turn this on, I hear no difference at all.
steelseries-arctis-3-software.jpg

In Windows, right click the volume and go to playback devices
Double click on whatever it is you see
Under advanced tab there is a frequency setting
make sure none of them are over 44.1khz Windows has a problem when over this if not basic stereo.
I know you said you did this, but windows 10 really cant handle over that if more than Stereo.
Normally only 1 software can be run, or it gets confused.

Sorry I don't have your headphones, but a friend of mine had similar problems. When we did the above it sorted them

You can just contact Steelseries, as they are very helpful guys.