Question How do I recognize that a graphics card supports a 5K monitor?

Jan 8, 2023
I want to set my graphics resolution in Windows 11 to 5120x2880, but I can't.

I've just finished building a new PC, and bought an LG 27" UltraFine 5K monitor to go with it. I'm using my system mainly for software development, not gaming, so from the start that puts me at odds, it seems, for most of the focus of discussions regarding graphics card. I want a 5K display for nice, big, sharp work area, like I get with my 27" iMac. Frame rates for this game or that matter not a bit to me.

From the specs, it had seemed like the Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT 8GB that I chose would do the job. Windows won't offer me any resolution higher than 3840x2160 in the display settings for the combination of this monitor and graphics card.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023
What is the exact issue you're having trying to get 5K output?

That GPU should be able to go up to a max of 7680×4320 via HDMI and 7680×4320 via DP (https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/nitro-radeon-rx-6600-xt-8g-gddr6#Specification)

That's exactly what I thought the specs were telling me. But the display settings in Windows 11 won't offer me anything higher than 3840x2160. When I spoke to someone at Sapphire tech support later, I was also told that 5K wasn't supported (although I wasn't confident the support tech knew what he was talking about, since he barked up the wrong tree for a while, then told me that someone else told him 5K wouldn't work.)

I can't test using one of the DisplayPort outpurs directly because the LG monitor has only Thunderbolt input. I get Thunderbolt output by connecting one of the DisplayPort outputs to a motherboard DisplayPort input, so the motherboard handles the conversion to Thunderbolt video. Maybe there's an issue there?

I also tried to create a custom resolution using the AMD software, and couldn't get any numbers to works for 5K resolution -- always got an error flag of some sort, even when I lowered the frame rate to 30 fps. At any rate (pardon the pun) I'd think if the card supported 5K the AMD software would have shown a 5K option already existed, without me needing to add a custom 5K.

If I decided to swap this video card for a different card, I'm now a bit gunshy that I can trust getting 5K output from another card just by reading the specs.

Jan 8, 2023
You're not directly connecting to the GPU which is likely the problem.

I had wondered about that, but then, if that's the only reason I can't get 5K, why would Sapphire tech support tell me 5K isn't supported, and why would the AMD software prevent me from adding a custom resolution to get 5K?

I'm considering trying this:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC...890b211ed83c509710a82b838&cjdata=MXxOfDB8WXww

Of course, if this works to get 5K, it would probably mean my computer won't have access to the camera and microphone in the monitor.

TRENDING THREADS