How do I recover files off of a Mac hard drive onto a PC?!

CalebKittFTW

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015
Hello there! So my Mac pro (1.1) Died just before I built my new pc... A very important file of mine that I need is still on the hard drive (I am 100% sure the hard drive is fine from the crash). I know Mac hard drives are formatted differently than a PC's. Is there some type of software that would allow me to plug that hard drive in and recover my file or am I screwed? I could use any assistance anyone can give me as the file is not one I can recreate!!!

Solution
]Here's a quote from the site to which ABHIRAMSHIBU linked:-

WARNINGS:

The driver may crash your system and ruin your data unexpectedly,
since there might be software conflicts and I could only test it
on some of the popular platforms. You should use it with care and
use it at your own risk!

Maybe that Mac owning friend is the first thing to try.

ABHIRAMSHIBU

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
Mac normally has a firmware which most of the pc's don't recognise. If you are lucky you can read that drive. So for mounting a Linux drive you need a ext4 mounting application. http://www.ext2fsd.com/ . Using that application mount that drive and copy the files. If your hard drive is encrypted then there is no chance of retrieving that data.

CalebKittFTW

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015

Would it be worth try or is there to high of a risk of corrupting the files?

That link he send will not work for HSF+ formatted mac drives. Any software not made by Apple has a risk of corruption. For now, you can try http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-read-mac-os-hfs-drives-in-windows-for-free-image-3369574/ if you are feeling brave/lucky

]Here's a quote from the site to which ABHIRAMSHIBU linked:-

WARNINGS:

The driver may crash your system and ruin your data unexpectedly,
since there might be software conflicts and I could only test it
on some of the popular platforms. You should use it with care and
use it at your own risk!

Maybe that Mac owning friend is the first thing to try.

Solution

ABHIRAMSHIBU

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015

There is no risk of corruption but if you forget to eject the drive before you unplug there could be corruption. It happens because normally mac turns off journaling. If it is having very sensitive data then try to recover data in a pc running any version of Linux.

CalebKittFTW

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015

Yea... Its sounding better and better.

CalebKittFTW

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015

Does that have any chances of damaging my PC?

ABHIRAMSHIBU

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015

I have only recovered data form MacBook only ones so you should consider the warning of senior moderator. Any way if that data is very very important then you should get a mac machine or a Linux machine. Its better with mac machine.

No it will not damage your pc.

Moderator was warning you about the data in that drive you were about to recover.