How do I remove an old boot sector partition?

vileynye

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
I currently switched from a 32bit Win 7 OS to a 64bit Win 7 OS. I did so by installing windows on a second drive. This way I could freely move files between drives with minimal effort. My 32bit OS created a 100MB hard drive partition. That is for boot/recovery files right? I formatted that drive to remove the 32bit OS. Windows still believes I have dual boot system. When I turn on my system, it asks me which Win 7 I would like to boot. Once I’m at my desktop the partition is still in use so I can’t format it. I don’t know what to do here so I can format the drive and remove the partition.

vileynye

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
After removing the 32bit OS in msconfig it no longer asks me which one to boot. However, I still cannot format the drive. Is it possible my new OS is using that partition as the boot sector as well?

you can tell if you go into computer management and hit disk management. from there you will see the hidden boot sector partition. it is most likely on the drive you first installed windows 7 on which was the 32 bit drive. you should be able to delete it and recreate a new boot sector but I cant remember exactly how its been a while

Unplug the drive with 64bit OS. Bootup the PC with bootable media(DVD/USB) with 32bit drive plugged in. Format the partitions. You can create new partitions there or can do it later under Disk Management. After you done all things, shut down the PC and plug back the 64bit drive. See what happens !

vileynye

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

After deleting the partition and rebooting my computer bootmgr is missing. I tired a start up repair with my windows disk but it failed because bootmgr is missing. From what I understand the solution to this is to create a new boot partition. Which I don't know how to do. I'm a little out of my league here.