Question How do I remove the HDD from it's cradle ?

D

Deleted member 362816

Should be screws on the side that is just and extension cable just unplug it from the drive the black part.

Aug 11, 2022
Could also be a special run of disks maybe?! So its fused and won't get off?
I'm suspecting it. But I'm not sure. I'll try to get it out when I get home. But would that mean that the black part is fused to the case and isn't removable?

Aug 11, 2022
So the reason I want to get it out is because I want the data. Old laptop I forgot the password to. If the hdd is not able to be removed what's the easiest way to retrieve the data for someone not tech savvy?​

Aug 11, 2022
Finally got it unstuck. Issue now is that I can't access my files. It's old high school photos. I don't have access to certain folders. How can I get a hold of the photos?

DSzymborski

Titan
You're going to have to provide more details how you don't have access. What are you doing and how, and what specific errors are you getting?

Note that we cannot help with anything related to password circumvention.

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
Issue now is that I can't access my files. ............................... I don't have access to certain folders.

That's completely normal when you try to view an NTFS volume on a different Windows computer. You may need to take ownership of the affected folders. Here's how.

Note that if you have an ad-blocker installed then the site may refuse to show you the content. If you don't feel like disabling it then there's a version here that's been cached by Google.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Aug 11, 2022
That's completely normal when you try to view an NTFS volume on a different Windows computer. You may need to take ownership of the affected folders. Here's how.

Note that if you have an ad-blocker installed then the site may refuse to show you the content. If you don't feel like disabling it then there's a version here that's been cached by Google.
I thought you were supposed to be able to get to the files?

It seems like I have to get in to my old user on the old harddrive to access the files? Can't find any of the files I'm looking for in programs even though I can access those files. It just says I don't have permission to access the files or something like that. I'll take a look at your link.

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
I thought you were supposed to be able to get to the files?

Yes you can get to them but the security descriptors for your personal files will have permissions for a different user - that's why you currently don't have permission to open them.

Take permission of the affected folders and you should be fine - it's not difficult although it may take while to change all the permissions so be patient.

You'll find your personal data by going into the Users folder in the root of the old drive then going into your personal folder.