how do i replace boot files??

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
i am bummin..... my 2k hd crashed. gets to splash screen, then crashes when its going to gui. now i get bsod saying my "boot device is inaccessible" i can use the hd as a slave just fine, but the things i need off it wont copy over. anyway, is there a way to manually copy over some "new" boot files to repair the boot sector on the drive? i have tried to run the repair util but it claims that it can not find a previous installation. this is quite important.... PLEASE HELP!!

....the birds seemed to be calling him, thought caw....

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
You can d/l a boot disk for w2k <A HREF="http://www.bootdisk.com/" target="_new">here</A> You should need these files in your %root% directory, Ntdr, Ntdetect.com,and Boot.ini These are hidden and protected, so you must unhide and unprotect in "Folder Options" (explorer menu bar/Tools/ Folder Options, View tab). Hope this helps.

<font color=purple><b>An average human brain weights aprox. 3lbs., but a thought weights a load.</font color=purple></b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jc14all on 06/05/02 05:01 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Recovery Console is your friend.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
yeah, i went there and ran chkdsk and it found errors. i didnt know what else to do.... then i hooked the drive up as a slave and copied over ntldr, boot.ini and ntdetect, with no luck. grrr.

....the birds seemed to be calling him, thought caw....

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
fixboot should do what you want, /help help ? or something like that should give you a list of commands you can execute.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>