Question How do I reposition the radiator (pic included)

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
View: https://imgur.com/SIhOort

My AIO cooler has a loud rattling coming from the radiator. With my Case upside down the rattling stops. This suggests I have air in the closed loop I believe. How would I go about getting the ports on top? The pipes aren't very malleable. I added an arrow as to where I believe the ports should be. Thanks Tom's Community!
I did watch a GN video about AIO's being installed wrong all the time, with the CPU above the radiator or something, so I am assuming I have the right idea at least.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I would question where the rattle comes from. Normally AIO pumps and coolant don't 'rattle'.

Where exactly is the noise coming from? Is it the radiator? Is it the pump? Is it elsewhere and the noise is gone when it is flipped over, so the assumption is the AIO?

This sounds like a fan or something else which might be interacting with something differently with the change in case orientation.

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
I would question where the rattle comes from. Normally AIO pumps and coolant don't 'rattle'.

Where exactly is the noise coming from? Is it the radiator? Is it the pump? Is it elsewhere and the noise is gone when it is flipped over, so the assumption is the AIO?

This sounds like a fan or something else which might be interacting with something differently with the change in case orientation.
It turns out the rattling came back even upside-down. Its very weird why a rattling would be coming the radiator. Where I drew the arrow is where its coming from. I have stop both fans. One at a time and it still rattles. I'll post a video with the sound. I appreciate any help you could give. View: http://imgur.com/a/51CvD40

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I can't quite tell what that noise is. Are you even 100% sure it is the AIO pump or fan and not another fan in the PC?

Disconnect the radiator fan from the control or whatever is powering it...your PC won't over heat in the few moments it is disconnected. Once the fan is stopped - does the noise go away?

Try this with other case fans.

Lastly, try disconnecting the pump power and see if the sound goes away.

Depending on which one causes the noise to stop is the reason behind it.

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
I can't quite tell what that noise is. Are you even 100% sure it is the AIO pump or fan and not another fan in the PC?

Disconnect the radiator fan from the control or whatever is powering it...your PC won't over heat in the few moments it is disconnected. Once the fan is stopped - does the noise go away?

Try this with other case fans.

Lastly, try disconnecting the pump power and see if the sound goes away.

Depending on which one causes the noise to stop is the reason behind it.
I've stopped both fans and removed them from the radiator. With only the radiator in my hand and too my ear, the noise is coming directly from the middle of it. It is really weird. I will try removing the power from the radiator itself to see if it stops. Thanks for the ideas!

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
It's coming from the middle of the radiator? Being an asetek design, the pump is in the CPU block. And this doesn't sound like gurgling liquid from an air bubble.
yes exactly. That's what makes it very weird. ibuypower email takes 7 days per reply, so I mighty be sending it in to get repaired. I don't want to be without a PC for 3 weeks or more. Most likely more. Oh, it only makes the sound when the cpu is under load. So, maybe there is a peice of mettle or something broken off inside.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Even if there was a small piece of plastic of metal inside the radiator, the flow rate of AIOs is so low that there wouldn't be close to enough turbulence to cause it to rattle.

The only thing that can sound like rattling is the crackling of bubbles from the pump if there is air being moved through the cooler, although if the radiator is installed higher than the pump, this should really only occur once (first startup and run) or if the PC has been moved, shaken or placed on its side - anything which might have disturbed the air pocket inside the cooler.

I'm starting to run out of ideas which do not require removal of the cooler and external testing...this might be an instance where it is time to start the RMA process. There just isn't good way to keep going in troubleshooting without this being something isn't wrong with the cooler or ruling out simple things.

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
Even if there was a small piece of plastic of metal inside the radiator, the flow rate of AIOs is so low that there wouldn't be close to enough turbulence to cause it to rattle.

The only thing that can sound like rattling is the crackling of bubbles from the pump if there is air being moved through the cooler, although if the radiator is installed higher than the pump, this should really only occur once (first startup and run) or if the PC has been moved, shaken or placed on its side - anything which might have disturbed the air pocket inside the cooler.

I'm starting to run out of ideas which do not require removal of the cooler and external testing...this might be an instance where it is time to start the RMA process. There just isn't good way to keep going in troubleshooting without this being something isn't wrong with the cooler or ruling out simple things.
So i did this.....
View: https://youtu.be/JT_u_eLVoIc

This video did get rid of the sound but it would keep coming back. Yeah, I think its an RMA. It must be a defect that is exacerbated buy the free air, or something like that. Thanks for the help.

asetekdennis

Prominent
Jan 4, 2019
It's coming from the middle of the radiator? Being an asetek design, the pump is in the CPU block. And this doesn't sound like gurgling liquid from an air bubble.

Just wanted to chime in here. This is not an Asetek design (as evidenced by the retention in this case).
However, from what I've read that was done to troubleshoot this, it does sound like a pump that is dying or otherwise defective. There's also a few other potential causes - but it's hard to say as I don't know the design that was used by this manufacturer.

Happy to help with anything at all, though :)

Reactions: gg83

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
Just wanted to chime in here. This is not an Asetek design (as evidenced by the retention in this case).
However, from what I've read that was done to troubleshoot this, it does sound like a pump that is dying or otherwise defective. There's also a few other potential causes - but it's hard to say as I don't know the design that was used by this manufacturer.

Happy to help with anything at all, though :)
Yep. The pump is bad. RMA'D! just shipped it out today. I found out that the pump is in the radiator actually. Even with the pandemic, Ibuypower got me set up for an RMA very quickly. I might go through them again in the future. I wouldn't feel confident installing a new AIO myself. If I do build my next pc, it will probably be passively cooled. Mo pumps mo problems.