Question How do I reuse current NVMe SSD in my new PC build.

May 10, 2023
Hi, I am building a new PC and want to use my NVMe SSD from my current build in my new one. This will be my main storage. But I don't really understand how I do this. This is my SSD with all my important files and game files etc. And I don't want to risk losing it, so how can I safely use this is as my main storage in my new build too and transfer all the files?

USAFRet

Titan
alright! But what do I do after that, do I just plug my old SSD in my new motherboard and boot up my new pc?
Does this drive have your Windows operating system on it?

Trying to move a drive+OS from one system to another, you have 3 possible outcomes:
1. It works just fine
2. It fails completely
3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

#3 is the most common.
I've personally had all 3.

D

Deleted member 2838871

And I don't want to risk losing it, so how can I safely use this is as my main storage in my new build too and transfer all the files?

You'd be wise to go with a fresh install of Windows.

Back up your files and move everything over. It's not difficult.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you have a third drive available, with enough space, I would give cloning a try. That is the most safe way to make an attempt. However, even with the second drive, a clone operation will leave the original drive intact until you decide to format it.

Macrium Reflect free edition has worked for me a few times. (Most specifically with posts from USAFRet as guides. Thanks by the way)

USAFRet

Titan
If you have a third drive available, with enough space, I would give cloning a try. That is the most safe way to make an attempt. However, even with the second drive, a clone operation will leave the original drive intact until you decide to format it.

Macrium Reflect free edition has worked for me a few times. (Most specifically with posts from USAFRet as guides. Thanks by the way)

Moving to all new hardware, cloning or imaging is no different than moving the original physical drive.

The 3 possible outcomes above still hold true.