How do I reverse the function key's settings on my Windows 8.1 ASUS? (And therefore not have to press fn + f1 -12)?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zacius96

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
I just bought a new Windows 8.1 ASUS laptop two days ago, and I really like it. However, one con I've noticed about it is that the function key (fn) is set to where you must press that key and another button to adjust the brightness, volume, etc. All my drivers are up to date, but with my limited technical knowledge I'm frustrated that I cannot simply press the brightness/volume/ project buttons without having to first have another finger on the fn key. I'd rather use the keys like I have used them for every other laptop model I've used before, so help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
D
You need t do that as the F buttons are used for people whoa re designing web pages and a lot of advanced programs have shortcuts embedded into those keys. An example would be; if you press F12 on a Dell laptop on a webpage, it opens up the developer console, also known as the inspect element window. And if you press Fn+F12 on a Dell laptop, it will increase the volume which can be handy when you are playing a computer on full screen.

abuzain05

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016

hi
holding fn and esc key once didnt work for my toshiba satellite on windows 8
any suggestions?

VAL_IST

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016

Got the same problem on a brand new ASUS R557L. Neither this solution nor ATK package driver update, nor HKey.exe work. Need to adjust volume with one hand in live music conditions. Had no pb on an old Lenovo but Asus doesn't allow it.
Help!

Big Moose

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017
Ok I figured it out on my computer. I have a Toshiba Windows 10. Anyways... synaptics installed a program on my computer for the touchpad. My FN was reversed. So I uninstalled the Synaptics program from the control panel and it fixed the problem. I first found that when I disabled the touchpad the FN keys would work normal. So that's what worked for me.

wasifdr87

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017
I had a problem with reversed fn key. A 0 would show up when I pressed the M key and a 3 with the l key and 5 with the i key. Just hold down the fn key and press Insert/num lk key. It solved my problem.[/quotemsg]

thank you so much. it worked

Okedara

Prominent
May 13, 2017
i tried all the solutions posted but none worked for me. I use a toshiba satellite & i use windows 8.1...but here is the solution i got.
press windows key + S and search for functions key
open the function key result and under the notification, click on.
and datz all
really hop that works for you though coz it worked for me

walthodgson

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018
I discovered quite by accident a work around. I was working with a USB keyboard, and after I unplugged it i discovered that it was acting like the Fn key was constantly pushed. After spending an hour looking through settings and the BIOS and such, I noticed that it still did it when I plugged the USB keyboard back in. Then I noticed that I had the NumLock key set on the USB kb. I unset it, and the laptop kb started acting right.

So, if you have a USB kb, you could plug it in, set the NumLock. Might work with an external numpad, too.

May 14, 2018

Hey! Try pressing Fn+Esc. This enables "Fn Lock". It´s usually a key with a little lock that says "Fn". Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.