[SOLVED] How do I run this water pump without the molex cord that came with my PSU?

Victel

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
My power supply is the corsair AX1500i and I no longer have all the cords that came with it. AX1500i Digital ATX Power Supply — 1500 Watt Fully-Modular PSU (corsair.com)

I'm trying to run a pump but I'm not sure how to connect it without the needed molex cord: Amazon.com: Alphacool VPP655 - PWM Universal Pump - Fans, Coolers and Radiators (Universal, Pump, 4-Pin, Black, Metallic, Ceramic, Plastic, 37 W): Computers & Accessories
What are my options? I'm unable to find the needed cord specific to my PSU online. Thanks

Solution
You can either use PCI-E to Molex cable to take power from PSU or any SATA to Molex cable to use an available SATA power connector.

Victel

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016

Those read under accessory model and 1500 is listed. Does this mean mine is compatible? Also is there anywhere to get a single cable without buying the full set? They are braided unlike the ones I currently have.

It reads for AX1200 and mine is 1500. Isnt that a problem?

My power supply is the corsair AX1500i and I no longer have all the cords that came with it. AX1500i Digital ATX Power Supply — 1500 Watt Fully-Modular PSU (corsair.com)

I'm trying to run a pump but I'm not sure how to connect it without the needed molex cord: Amazon.com: Alphacool VPP655 - PWM Universal Pump - Fans, Coolers and Radiators (Universal, Pump, 4-Pin, Black, Metallic, Ceramic, Plastic, 37 W): Computers & Accessories
What are my options? I'm unable to find the needed cord specific to my PSU online. Thanks

Won't SATA not give me enough amps for my pump? I need 22.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That pump clearly states 37w.

Which may or may not work depending on the quality of the adapter used to convert Sata to molex. There's 3 pins (Sata) for each voltage, and each pin is rated for 1.5A maximum. In a correct adapter, all 3x 12v pins will be tied at the junction of the single molex, so 4.5a x 12v = 54w. If it's a cheapo that does not correctly use all 3x pins, but only uses 2x pins, that's 3.0a x 12v = 36w maximum and you'll end up burning out the Sata connector with extended usage.

By comparison, most molex pins are rated at 9A, 12" of 18ga wire is @ 10A, so you can get a maximum 12vDC of @ 108w direct from molex.

There's reasons why molex still exists after all these years of use, when other connector types have come and gone. The only advantage to Sata over molex is that Sata has 3.3v capability, molex does not. Otherwise Sata is quite inferior in every way.

Reactions: Victel

Victel

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
That pump clearly states 37w.

Which may or may not work depending on the quality of the adapter used to convert Sata to molex. There's 3 pins (Sata) for each voltage, and each pin is rated for 1.5A maximum. In a correct adapter, all 3x 12v pins will be tied at the junction of the single molex, so 4.5a x 12v = 54w. If it's a cheapo that does not correctly use all 3x pins, but only uses 2x pins, that's 3.0a x 12v = 36w maximum and you'll end up burning out the Sata connector with extended usage.

By comparison, most molex pins are rated at 9A, 12" of 18ga wire is @ 10A, so you can get a maximum 12vDC of @ 108w direct from molex.

There's reasons why molex still exists after all these years of use, when other connector types have come and gone. The only advantage to Sata over molex is that Sata has 3.3v capability, molex does not. Otherwise Sata is quite inferior in every way.

Makes sense. So the pump has a 4 pin and a female molex. I'm guessing I need some sort of male to pcie molex then?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Watch out for genders! OP, you are hoping to find an adapter to convert the PCIe OUTPUT connector (normally plugged into a PCIe card like a video card) to a Molex female 4-pin. BUT those Startech adapters linked above are ones that plug into the CARD - they do NOT receive the plug coming from the PSU! They are to allow you to power the video card from a PSU female Molex output - just the OPPOSITE of what you are seeking!

Karadjgne above has the right idea - use an adapter to go from a SATA power output of the PSU to a female Molex - AND some good notes of caution.

The "correct" alternative is as bignastyid has suggested - get the original proper cable from Corsair. I see, though, that their website suggests it may not be available now.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Part of the reason I linked a full set of braided cable replacements. 👍Not only look nice, dress the pc a little bit, but also offer multiple options as most of those are nothing more than 'peripherals' so plug into the same psu ports. Can mix and match as needed for Sata or molex or pcie.

AX series is all the same as far as cables go. The wiring fits any model whether it's a 1200 or 1500i.

Reactions: Victel

Victel

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
Part of the reason I linked a full set of braided cable replacements. 👍Not only look nice, dress the pc a little bit, but also offer multiple options as most of those are nothing more than 'peripherals' so plug into the same psu ports. Can mix and match as needed for Sata or molex or pcie.

AX series is all the same as far as cables go. The wiring fits any model whether it's a 1200 or 1500i.

I purchased
Corsair CP-8920052 Standard Power Cable Kit
on amazon you recommended.

You're real good Kar, maybe even the best.