Question How do I screw in my Heatsink?

May 17, 2019
Hello I’m rebuilding my Gaming PC from years ago and I changed the motherboard to a MSI b450i Gaming Plus AC and I don’t know how to screw in my Hyper 212 Evo! Do I need standoffs or do I use the retention bracket? When I try use The bracket I scre in one side and the other side goes up and needs a very considerable amount to get the other side down and I’m afraid I’ll break it HELP PLEASE

Frame 8 of the manual is where you need to begin, for an AMD installation, and the instructions are very clear.
If you are having problems, slow down, and re-consult the manual. Take your time, and use the proper tools for the job. Don't improvise.

When you screw-down the retention bracket, get just a couple threads started, then move to the other diagonally-opposite side, and get that one started the same amount, then get the other two started, then tighten things evenly all the way around. Don't try to mash everything down in one go, and do not over-tighten the retention screws.

The supplied standoffs are shown on frame 9 of the manual.

If you don't have those in the parts kit you received with the cooler, contact the seller and make certain that you get the proper parts.

You should be using standoff 'E' mounted through spacer cup 'D', to screw into the motherboard backing bracket 'C'.

Make certain that you are not using standoff 'H', because those are shorter than the AMD standoffs--use the taller standoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC Tailor