Question How do i see my Windows activation key? How to know if my key can be moved to another computer?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
Hi. My Windows key is Retail, according to the results I get from typing "slmgr.vbs /dlv " in CMD. However, someone told me I can't transfer the key, even if it's Retail, if Windows was pre-installed. In fact, Windows 10 was pre-installed and ready to use when I bought the laptop. According to the person, the activation key is rooted (hard-coded) to the BIOS chip, which is on the motherboard, which makes it impossible to transfer it to another computer. Is this true?

How do I check if the key can be transferred? How can I be 100% sure?

Also, how do I see the key? When I type "slmgr.vbs /dlv " in CMD, I also get "Activation ID:" with a code shown after it. When I open My Computer, and click on "properties", I get "Product ID:", showing a different code. So, which one is the activation key I need to re-enter on another computer in order to successfully activate Windows?

I ran Powershell as administrator, and then entered this: wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey
But it didn't work. This is the result I got (the key is missing):
View: https://imgur.com/a/HFAXKZt

So, how do I see my key, and how do I know if it can be transferred?

The license with this laptop is stored in the motherboard, the Windows setup reads that license and activates. Another laptop won't have this license code, that script you ran does not work perfectly. Your Microsoft logon does not actually store your license key to be moved to another system in this case, it's tied to the motherboard.

What exactly are you trying to install Windows 10 on that does not have a license already? Is there any OS on it now? Is there a Windows license sticker or any license for Windows already associated with that system?

You can't "uninstall the license" in a laptop that has is linked in the system from a vendor like Dell, Lenovo, etc... If you bought this laptop new or used without it being messed with by the prior owner, the license is only for that system no matter what that script showed you and those utilities will not show you the actual setup code for Windows, only the encrypted keys that won't work.

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
If that is the case, you can transfer that license.

You do not need to do those steps 1-6 above.
You simply do the install, go into your MS account, and tell it about he new PC.
Dont I have to uninstall the key first, since one key can work on only on computer at a time? When I log in to my MS account on my new computer, wont I get error that says the key cant work on two devices and that I need to uninstall they key from the first device, before it can work on the second device?

The license with this laptop is stored in the motherboard, the Windows setup reads that license and activates. Another laptop won't have this license code, that script you ran does not work perfectly. Your Microsoft logon does not actually store your license key to be moved to another system in this case, it's tied to the motherboard.

What exactly are you trying to install Windows 10 on that does not have a license already? Is there any OS on it now? Is there a Windows license sticker or any license for Windows already associated with that system?

You can't "uninstall the license" in a laptop that has is linked in the system from a vendor like Dell, Lenovo, etc... If you bought this laptop new or used without it being messed with by the prior owner, the license is only for that system no matter what that script showed you and those utilities will not show you the actual setup code for Windows, only the encrypted keys that won't work.

Someone told me that if it says only "Windows is activated with a digital license", then it can't be transferred. But if it says "Windows is activated with a digital license linekd to your Microsoft account", then it can be tranferred.

When I'm not logged in to my MS account, if tsays the first one. When I'm logged in to my MS account, it says the seoncd one.

Here you can see it:

View: https://imgur.com/a/nGPhGfz

However, I still don't know how to see the code itself. I want to be able to activate my other Windows 10, without having to log in to my MS account, but by just typing to code when the SEUP asks me if I have a key.

If you want to see your Key I have a nice way of doing it.

Create a new txt file on your desktop. Copy and paste everything below in the created txt file. After its pasted save the file and rename it to key.vbs. Simply click the file after that to see your Windows key.

CUT AND PASTE THIS BELOW IN THE TXT FILE.

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
Cur = Cur Mod 24