Question How do I select a new HDD for a Dell XPS 8300? What specs do I look for?

Feb 21, 2020
My desktop PC is a Dell XPS 8300. I'm running Win10 off a SSD and was using the computer's original 3.5" 1.5 TB HDD as storage space until it died this week. I would like to replace it, but I'm not sure which hard drives are compatible with an XPS 8300.

When I bought the SSD, it was through the Crucial website, which simply told me which were compatible, so I never learned how to select a new drive on my own. This new drive will only be used to store media. Speed is not an issue and I'm considering larger mechanical HDD, perhaps 2-4TB and not a smaller SSD like the one running Win10, so I can't just use the Crucial site again.

When I purchase the new HDD online, what specs must be there in order to ensure it will run on my XPS 8300?

I'd like to learn in case I need to do this again in the future.

Thanks for your help.

Feb 21, 2020
PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $49.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-21 13:53 EST-0500

My question was how to select a hard drive and what sort of specs I need to look for. It looks like you're recommending a product, but that doesn't teach me how to select one on my own, which is what I'm trying to learn.

Feb 21, 2020

Thanks, but that article is an overview of hard drives generally, and doesn't say anything about how to find out which drives compatible with my system.

I need to know how to determine which drives are incompatible, so I don't buy them.

If it helps, already know I'm looking for a SATA drive, but will literally any SATA drive whatsoever work in a Dell XPS 8300?