[SOLVED] How do I set a subfolder on a drive for the Windows Backup destination?

IncredibleHat

Commendable
Apr 15, 2020
(using Windows 10 home)

Windows Backup only lets me pick a local drive "E:" (not a sub folder on E), then it spews garbage at the root level of drive E. I would much rather it go into "E:/Backups/[this machines name]/" ... because this local drive is a Raid that is being used by all my machines to put their own backups in (thus the sub folders by machine name). It allows me to pick a subfolder when choosing a 'save on network...' on those other machines...

Is it possible? How do I do this?

I was googling for an hour on this one, and keep getting dozens of duplicate articles about how to enable windows backup, or how to select subfolders TO backup, or articles about it failing to backup subfolders you selected ... I cant find anything about how do you choose a destination folder on a drive for the backup to be stored into.

Solution
Alternate solution:
Don't use the braindead WIndows Backup tool.

Macrium Reflect does this much much better, and exactly what you're looking for.

All of my systems and each drive individually back up to a single folder tree on my NAS.

USAFRet

Titan
Alternate solution:
Don't use the braindead WIndows Backup tool.

Macrium Reflect does this much much better, and exactly what you're looking for.

All of my systems and each drive individually back up to a single folder tree on my NAS.

Solution
(using Windows 10 home)

Windows Backup only lets me pick a local drive "E:" (not a sub folder on E), then it spews garbage at the root level of drive E. I would much rather it go into "E:/Backups/[this machines name]/" ... because this local drive is a Raid that is being used by all my machines to put their own backups in (thus the sub folders by machine name). It allows me to pick a subfolder when choosing a 'save on network...' on those other machines...

Is it possible? How do I do this?

I was googling for an hour on this one, and keep getting dozens of duplicate articles about how to enable windows backup, or how to select subfolders TO backup, or articles about it failing to backup subfolders you selected ... I cant find anything about how do you choose a destination folder on a drive for the backup to be stored into.

Windows Backup is cranky and fussy...as you've found.

You have little flexibility, by intentional design.

The last I heard, it is no longer under development at Microsoft.

It is at the low end of tolerable IF you understand its limitations and can live with them. Otherwise it is not tolerable.

Patient to doctor: "Doc, it hurts when I do this".

Doctor to patient: "Don't do that".

IncredibleHat

Commendable
Apr 15, 2020
I've got one machine with a Macrium license on it, and it does perform much nicer in terms of backups. I thought I would just 'get away with' a basic backup of some folders and sys image on a couple lesser machines (and the machine the raid sits in itself).

As you both say ... "fussy, and pita" is about summing up windows backup.

I shall consider some more macrium licenses. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS