[SOLVED] How do I set a wireless connection and a wired connection to the same IP address?

piedude003

Commendable
Nov 2, 2017
I have a situation that causes me to swap my PC between a wired and wireless connection quite often, and these connections both have different IPs. It wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for portforwarding. Since you can only portforward to one IP address, I can currently only choose to portforward in one instance, not both.

I tried to set my wireless address to a static IP that matched the address of my Ethernet connection in windows control panel, but my wireless connection stopped working.

I want to have the necessary ports forwarded whether I'm connected wirelessly or wired, but can't seem to set the IP addresses to the same value. Is there any way besides accessing my router settings to have these ports forwarded regardless of my device?

Also, my windows LAN connection shows the former name for the connection (SSID I believe it's called), after I performed a hard reset on my router (30/30/30). So, it shows my connection as "High High Hopes" when it's supposed to show the new name, "on god".

Solution
I have a situation that causes me to swap my PC between a wired and wireless connection quite often, and these connections both have different IPs. It wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for portforwarding. Since you can only portforward to one IP address, I can currently only choose to portforward in one instance, not both.

I tried to set my wireless address to a static IP that matched the address of my Ethernet connection in windows control panel, but my wireless connection stopped working.

I want to have the necessary ports forwarded whether I'm connected wirelessly or wired, but can't seem to set the IP addresses to the same value. Is there any way besides accessing my router settings to have these ports forwarded regardless of...

Ralston18

Titan
What make and model router (or modem/router if combined) do you have?

What ports are you trying to forward?

Network adapters are identified by their MAC.

On your PC run "ipconfig /all" via the Command Prompt and post the results.

Also run and post the results of "getmac /v".

kanewolf

Titan

I want to have the necessary ports forwarded whether I'm connected wirelessly or wired, but can't seem to set the IP addresses to the same value. Is there any way besides accessing my router settings to have these ports forwarded regardless of my device?

Also, my windows LAN connection shows the former name for the connection (SSID I believe it's called), after I performed a hard reset on my router (30/30/30). So, it shows my connection as "High High Hopes" when it's supposed to show the new name, "on god".
One way to do this would be to set a static IP on the ethernet connection on the PC and set an IP reservation for the WIFI MAC address on the router.

BUT, I think you need to look at the underlying reason to "swap" your network connection. Unless this is a laptop, with a docking station, I can't come up with a reason to repeatedly swap network connectivity.

Solution