How do I set default audio output device to triple monitors using DisplayPort

stanl33y

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015
I recently purchased three Asus VG248QE monitors and want to use all three of their speakers at the same time. I have connected each monitor to my computer through DisplayPort (this is also how I will be connecting my speakers' audio).

Is there a way in Windows 8.1 to set the default audio output device to three DisplayPort-connected speakers?

(I was also skeptical about using a triple 3.5mm jack splitter because it seems that, when I connect a 3.5mm jack to the monitor while it's connected with a DisplayPort cable, the audio will not output through the 3.5mm jack - only through the DisplayPort.)

Thank you!

stanl33y

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015
Bump; I purchased a triple audio splitter and used it with three DisplayPort cables and the audio didn't work, just as I thought.

I'm guessing that when a DisplayPort cable is plugged in, it disables the 3.5mm jack? Does anybody know how to fix this?

bigonroad

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I'm a little unclear here. Have you bought a 3.5mm audio jack splitter for plugging in each set of speakers, or some kind of display port "splitter"? Really not sure the display port will like working that way - it prefers to be daisy chained.

What have you got set in Windows Audio Settings for sound? If you are using the 3.5mm audio splitter, and your audio settings are set to use the audio jack for output, the splitter should work fine. Might sound a bit rough, but should work.

If you have audio routing through the Display Port, then it won't work.

stanl33y

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015

To clarify, each monitor has both DisplayPort audio and 3.5mm audio jack capabilities. I bought a triple 3.5mm audio jack splitter and plugged it into all three monitors.

In my Windows Audio Settings I set the 3.5mm jack as the default audio device, but it still did not play back any sound (I tried disabling the DisplayPort audio devices while using the 3.5mm jack as the default audio device as well, but I had no luck). I think that when the DisplayPort cables are plugged in, the monitor "mutes" the 3.5mm audio jacks for each monitor (although when I tried to use DVI it worked; unfortunately my GTX 980 only has one DVI port and three DisplayPort ports, so I was unable to stick with DVI).

TRENDING THREADS