How do I set my computer to 120hz?

DigitalWino

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
I just got myself a new display, I got a 40" Samsung 4K 3DTV with ". Model number UN40JU7100FXZA to be precise. On the computer side of things I'm running windows 10, 2x Nvidia GTX 980's in SLI, 32GB of 2666 RAM, and a 4Ghz i7-4790. My computer his hooked up via an HDMI cable, I do believe they both have HDMI 2.0 ports. When I first hooked it all up, things were maxing out at 30fps. It took me a little bit, but then I found in the geforce control panel, that you could select the resolution and refresh rate. It would let me select 1920x1080 or 3840x2160 at 60Hz. The TV has "Clear Motion Rate 240". I know that doesn't mean that it can actually has a refresh rate of 240, it just pretends to. However, as I understand it, it should have a refresh rate of 120hz (I read an article on cnet that said that the actual refresh rate of Samsungs Clear Motion is half the Clear Motion rate, I have not been able to find an actual spec from Samsung that says what it is). So I do believe I SHOULD be able to do 120hz, however that's not an option. Any thoughts or ideas?

DigitalWino

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
That is... Disappointing. As the video cards can easily output 120fps+, I was hoping to take advantage of that. I mean having to drop it down to 60 seems like waste. Granted Still getting more out of it w the 4K, and the colors look sooo much better. All in all it is a much nicer screen than the 40" Sony Bravia I was using. And now I know to do a bit more homework next time.

Another question then, do the various methods used to get the higher "pho" refresh rates, have any effect when playing PC games?