How do I set up a 250GB m.2 SSD (as primary drive) in my laptop which has a 1TB HDD (to use as a data drive)

Outsmash

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
I recently bought a MSI GE72. It has one m.2 SATA SSD slot so I went ahead and bought a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB m.2 SSD.

Now, how do I install the SSD onto my laptop and transfer everything from the HDD (barely used - about 50 GB used - OS with few programs and no other data like pictures, music, etc)?

I want to be able to use the SSD as the primary drive with the OS and all programs on it and my HDD as a secondary drive with my music, movies, etc. So what is the detailed procedure I should go about to do this? What software do i use to migrate? (Heard that EaseUS has problems). What settings should I change in the BIOS? and what should be the steps to optimize SSD performance once I'm done setting it up?

Thanks!

P.S. I have already broken the "Void Warranty" sticker so that's not an issue.
P.P.S My 1TB HDD is split up as "OS_Install ( C: ) - 509GB free of 558GB)" and "Data ( D: ) - 352GB free of 352GB).

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

You need to clone the HDD to the M.2 drive. You can use Samsung Data Migration. For optimization, there are some preset in Samsung Magician that you can use.
Your laptop should be set in AHCI mode already in the bios.
After you cloned, you should delete the partition that contained the old OS after you checked you can boot from the M.2 SSD.

if you go the clone route, when i did mine, i had to use the windows dvd to "repair" the installation - something about the boot files don't copy fully going from a sata to PCIe drives

i'd suggest a fresh install using ramcity's installation guide https://www.ramcity.com.au/view/installation-guides/installation - if you go that route, follow them carefully, and be sure to dis-connect all other drives before you start

Solution

HotPantsHenry

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014
If you want the least amount of headaches, you might need to use another machine, and use the software "Macrium Reflect Free Edition" to make an image of your drive and flash it to the ssd.
It automatically detects ssd's and sets proper trim settings for an optimal flash.
Using this method will keep your os, data, all settings, recovery partitions, etc.