Question How do I set up QoS on my router?

milo756

Prominent
Feb 17, 2018
I am trying to set up QoS on my router to set priority on my PC and downgrade the priority on netflix/hulu/amazon prime on the other devices in my home. I have accessed the router but I can't find how to set QoS settings. There is a QoS tab but all it shows is error codes with no options or settings. I appreciate any assistance.

Router: Ubee DVW32CB
ISP: Spectrum

If any additional information is needed please let me know.

On that device QoS is not user configurable, you can only enable or disable QoS (Wireless>WMM).
When enabled, the device prioritizes traffic according to the individual user and applications and balances throughput.
If disabled, any transmission request could exceeds network capacity, thus reducing the throughput of other connections.

Reactions: milo756
In general on cable systems you have more than enough bandwidth from the ISP to watch video and do other stuff. I suppose it depends on how much video is being watched at the same time but even 4k netflix is only 25mbps per stream.

So you really shouldn't need QoS because you are not overloading your connection. QoS does nothing if the connection is not actually getting data queued.

Since you posted this is wifi topic I suspect you are using wifi on your PC. The QoS option in the Wifi is completely worthless it is used for a form of broadcast video more like a tv station. Even if it was usable you would use it to favor netflix etc rather than degrade it. Even using this does not solve the main problem of wifi and that is there is no central control. The end devices can transmit over the top of each other and damage the data. They try to not do this but it depends on the end device actually being able to hear each other and not just the main router. You also have interference from outside your house that also damages the transmissions. There really is no solution to the wifi problem. When you get too many total devices...both your and your neighbors...the system just works poorly.

In any case the router you have does not have any QoS options. The few it might have it appears the ISP has blocked you from accessing. This is common on devices that have integrated telephone ports.

So step 1 is to not use wifi. If you still have issue buy the largest internet package they ISP offers so you do not over use the bandwidth. After that you can buy a different router that has actual QoS settings. It does not really fix anything though. What is would does is really no different that you walking down the hall and tell other people to stop using netflix because you want to use the internet. If you limit video streaming it many times becomes unusable. It is not like a file download that takes a extra couple minutes if you limit video streams you get stalls and buffering.

Reactions: milo756

milo756

Prominent
Feb 17, 2018
Hmmm I appreciate both of your answers. I guess I was mislead thinking QoS would help solve the issue. I just can't understand how my ISP can advertise 'speeds of 200mbs", their best package, when I'm averaging 9 mbs on my PC right now. It's usually not even multiple devices streaming at the same time, just one TV (non-4k) on netflix or hulu. What bothers me is only my PC seems to be affected by this. Simple youtube videos lag and are low quality on my PC ,but when I attempt to watch the same video on my phone or laptop everything runs perfectly fine.

Judging from what u said and a 200mb service, u shouldn't have problem, and if it only affects one device... what does common sense tells you? Router/ISP does no discrimination on one device, if there is an infrastructure problem, it tends to affect everybody.

There are tons of threads on affecting single devices, start there.