How do I set up two wireless networks using one cable modum

zag01

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
I ould like directions on how to establish two different routers with seperate networks to a single cable modem?

thendershot

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
you could put another router behind the first router.. but this will create double nat which is not a good idea.. if you get static IP addresses from your provider each router could have a public address.. i guess im not totally sure what you are trying to done here.. if you are talking to wireless SSIDs some routers allow you to do that

Guurzak

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
The right way to do this is to use a real router, or multi-NIC PC acting as a router, with support for multiple internal networks. You'd configure different vlans on different internal ports of the router, and then hang a wireless AP off each such port to provide the wireless service. Obviously, each AP would be configured with a different SSID and security settings.

The real question, though, is what do you gain by doing this? Any decent consumer wireless device will have a wireless isolation setting to prevent your wireless clients from hacking each other.