how do i setup a new hard drive

cmci2001

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015
hear me out because i know the title sound a bit stupid. i have a 1tb hard drive installed and i need to add another. i know how to mount it and plug the cables in but what i mean is there any setup required in the bios or do i just install it and then it will appear next to my other hard drive on my computer?.

thanks

Solution
Hey there, cmci2001!

You simply need to mount it in the appropriate HDD place and make sure you have connected it to the PSU (via the Molex cable) and the motherboard (via the SATA cable). I'd recommend you to use the guidelines from our knowledge base on How to physically install and set up your new HDD .

Afterwards, just like @utroz mentioned, you should be able to detect in Windows' Disk Management and first - Initialize the drive , and then Partition & Format it.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted if you have more questions! :)
Cheers,
SuperSoph_WD
In modern systems you usually do not need to do any setup in the BIOS. You might have to use Windows Disk Management to initialize, partition, and format it (or just partition and format depending on the drive). Should take 5min or less..

Hey there, cmci2001!

You simply need to mount it in the appropriate HDD place and make sure you have connected it to the PSU (via the Molex cable) and the motherboard (via the SATA cable). I'd recommend you to use the guidelines from our knowledge base on How to physically install and set up your new HDD .

Afterwards, just like @utroz mentioned, you should be able to detect in Windows' Disk Management and first - Initialize the drive , and then Partition & Format it.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted if you have more questions! :)
Cheers,
SuperSoph_WD

Solution