how do i setup a windows 7 boot server?

zach_16

Reputable
Apr 12, 2016
So heres my question, I have two desktops at my work that i would like to setup up for booting off a network. i want a installation of windows 7 that has been installed on the server. so then i have the two laptops that support network booting. i would like to know how i can boot a installed image of windows 7 over a network. then have my pc's boot from the network. i hope im clear enough.

hang-the-9

Titan
You want to image the computers over the network from what I can make out. Lots of guides out there, it's not very simple to do. Do a web search for "windows 7 pxe network installation".

Or are you trying to run a thin client type setup where the OS is actually run on the server? Then you need to check out how to do a server/thin client setup. Again, not very simple.

I'd say that for just two workstations (desktop, laptops) its not worth the efforts. You'll need Windows Server properly setup and configured, and if you go with Thin Clients (where laptops are just a screen, keyboard and mouse), you'll need Terminal Services License. You're looking at initial investment of at least couple of thousand of dollars, plus a week of your time.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013

A thin client type of system? Absolutely not worth it for 2 systems.

Or are you trying to do something else with the 2 desktops and 2 laptops?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS