[SOLVED] How do i setup iGPU for Windows and default apps, and dGPU for specific apps (mostly games) on a desktop PC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2021
I have an older System:
MB : GA-H77M-D3H (rev. 1.1) (Bios ver.F12)
CPU: i7-3770 (w/intel HD 4000 gfx)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650Ti 1gb
Ram: 12gb, Drive:480gb SSD
Windows 10 21H1

I have been trying to set up my Computer (main pc) and Windows, to use the integrated Graphics; and specify in windows to which either GPU to Use. but what ever I did (change ports, setting), i only get the option in windows 10 [Graphics option] to use 1 of the GPUs (on either Power Saving and High Perfomance).
I want the options to choose either.

I also need help with:
-How to set up where to connect the HDMI port (on motherboard or graphics card)
-What setting to use in bios (Init Display First), which option? (Auto, IGfx, PEG or PCI). Also what other possible options to change in bios
-And What other options or settings in windows possibly.

The Reason for it is Performance testing. When I set the Nvidia GPU as the main system and windows 10 GPU, the GPU's Memory gets used.
Who ever tells me to buy new gpu, or just set your main gpu, i am not interested.

Last edited:
Solution
It's a feature introduced with Windows 10 so its already plenty years old now.
You need to have both cards connected to a monitor, it can even be the same monitor if it has enough inputs, and if the drivers get installed without causing any issues you will get both GPUs to show up so you can choose which one to be used for each app.
The 650ti will definitely be faster in pretty much anything but the iGPU might be less noisy for viewing youtube and such.

Ka87GNV.jpg

kanewolf

Titan
I have an older System:
MB : GA-H77M-D3H (rev. 1.1) (Bios ver.F12)
CPU: i7-3770 (w/intel HD 4000 gfx)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650Ti 1gb
Ram: 12gb, Drive:480gb SSD
Windows 10 21H1

I have been trying to set up my Computer (main pc) and Windows, to use the integrated Graphics; and specify in windows to which either GPU to Use. but what ever I did (change ports, setting), i only get the option in windows 10 [Graphics option] to use 1 of the GPUs (on either Power Saving and High Perfomance).
I want the options to choose either.

I also need help with:
-What setting to use in bios (Init Display First), which option? (Auto, IGfx, PEG or PCI). Also what other possible options to change in bios

The Reason for it is Performance testing. When I set the Nvidia GPU as the main system and windows 10 GPU, the GPU's Memory gets used.
Who ever tells me to buy new gpu, or just set your main gpu, i am not interested.
Desktops don't work like laptops. The integrated GPU has one physical port and the dedicated graphics card has another. It isn't like a laptop.

Reactions: ak195

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Think of it this way. A Tv has multiple video ports but can't use them simultaneously and uses whichever input it's set to. Same with desktops, video cable dictates the 'channel'.

Laptops are different, the dedicated graphics card routes through the igpu interconnect because the screen is wired to the igpu so toggling between is done via software. Desktop graphics cards is it's own entity, standalone output, and doesn't route video through the motherboard.

ak195

Distinguished
In Desktop, you can use only one GPU at a time. Integrated or your external graphic card in PCIe slot.
So you can choose only one, and better is to use PCIe Graphic card and for that select PEG/Auto option in BIOS.
"PEG" means PCIe GPU
"IGFX" means integrated
"Auto" option will automatically disable the integrated card when a PCIe GPU is installed,
But "Auto" doesn't means that you can switch card through software.

It's a feature introduced with Windows 10 so its already plenty years old now.
You need to have both cards connected to a monitor, it can even be the same monitor if it has enough inputs, and if the drivers get installed without causing any issues you will get both GPUs to show up so you can choose which one to be used for each app.
The 650ti will definitely be faster in pretty much anything but the iGPU might be less noisy for viewing youtube and such.

Ka87GNV.jpg

Solution
Leave the setting on Auto. If you have a display connected to the motherboard's HDMI port, it's using the iGPU and that typically has priority on boot to be used if you have a monitor plugged into the video card.

On desktop platforms, which GPU being used depends on which monitor it launches on first. So if an application launches on the iGPU monitor, it uses the iGPU for the life of the program, even if you move the window over to the other monitor. Likewise if it launches on the dGPU monitor, it uses the dGPU. Most games will use whatever's designated as the primary monitor first with few games giving you the option to change up which monitor to use (though I don't think switching monitors switches which GPU it runs on if it's already running).

Basically on desktop systems, there's no easy way to tell Windows which GPU to use for certain things so it's done automagically for you like in a laptop.

Though things may have changed since the last time I had an iGPU in a dsektop. I moved on from such back around 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.